Looking For My Dream Ducks

LadyVictorian

Songster
Dec 22, 2016
Minnesota
Hey all, I probably won't get them this year but I am starting to think about what kind of ducks I want. I know already I want primarily a decorative duck, one that is very attractive and very friendly since it will be a pet first before anything else. Also would prefer if it lays good eggs. Doesn't need to lay a lot just when it does that the eggs are a good size and taste good. I want it to be a more friendly breed that is content to sticking in the yard and not wandering off. We have a wild pond behind the house with wild geese, ducks, and 2 pairs of wild swans. I don't actually want my ducks going out there because we also have massive snapping turtles and I have seen a duck or two get pulled underwater by them. The main snapping turtle is a female about the size of a manhole cover who comes into our yard once a year to lay her eggs in our horse pasture and I know she is the one eating the wild ducks so preferably a duck who will stick to home rather than follow the urge to join the wild ducks. I also want a duck breed who will get along well with chickens since I'll have about 14 chickens and would like them to live together/free range together.

I use to raise pekins, have had about 3, Angel, Drake, and Lucky. As much as I loved those three and adored them as pets I didn't like they lack of color. I also want a duck who can be indoor/outdoor. Our Pekins were able to come and go inside and outside the house as they wanted, ate out of door dishes like our dogs, and got on with our cats. Probably asking for the impossible but I have a year to decide so might as well get cracking.

How far away is the pond? And is there any barrier to get to it from your house? I'm remembering a post I read where a lady's duck kept going to her neighbor's pond, a half mile away; the ducky walked all that way every chance he could, determined to get to the pond. My Rouens are similarly obsessed with water.

Have you looked at Muscovy ducks? They come in a wide array of colors. My two Muscovies are not as obsessed with water as my Rouens and Runners are. They generally take a bath once a week or so, rather than thirty times a day like the others. Muscovies also have their own "language" of sorts, so they don't seem to bond so much with other duck breeds. Mine are super friendly and sociable. I left my girls wings unclipped and it's fun to see her fly by the window sometimes. She would gladly come in the house if I let her!

Also, Muscovy eggs are quite tasty. And my Muscovies live with chickens and everyone gets along just fine.

Last edited:
Our wild pond isn't far, it's right in the back yard basically. Maybe 15-20 feet from our house.It is surrounded by forest, thick brush, and angry wild rabbits though. Would having a domestic pond in the yard make a difference? I am building a 680 gallon Koi pond for my 4 goldfish for the summer time.

Hi LadyVictorian,
Very exciting time planning to add new members to the flock.
About the ducks and the pond, all breeds will try to get to it. Unless you prevent it by fencing the free range area.
As Adalida said ubove, Miscovies are a little less frantic about water than Mallard derived breeds. Though that doesn't mean they wouldn't love to be at the pond. These will even fly to reach water.
Also as Adalida said, Muscovies are very attractive birds in white, black, blue, lavender, brown, fawn and peid colors. They have a bright red wattle or barb around the face and neck, more prominent in males. The downside is that females are excellent flyers. Males are can also fly short distances especially when young. Though this can be avoided by clipping the wings.
On the other hand you have the popular Mallard derived breeds like the pekin, rouens, runners and many more. Runners are exceptional layers with around 280/300 eggs per duck a year. They are very attractive with their elongated body and funny walk and stance. They also say they tends to like water less than other breeds.
You can find lots of good information here on backyard chickens about differebt breeds. Just fo your research and let us know of more.
Cheers,

If you get Ducklings at a very young age, two days old, they will imprint to you and are easier to manage once they are older..Very time consuming the first 3 weeks..Just like having your own Babies...They cry to be fed, love your voice and your fingers are just like a real mothers bill. I always quack to my Ducklings and hardly ever hold them...Natural as possible..I have two that I imprinted and my Drake loves his Mom....lol.....He keeps the rest of the flock very close to home....I mean hangs out at my back door and calls for me when I run inside for something....As far as breeds go?.....I love all Ducks....The more time you spend with them, the tamer they are.....
Build a Duck house and a safe covered Run and only let them out to free range when your with them....I have Kiddie pools that they use during free range. Keeps the pen much drier.....I have 6 Ducks that sleep in an extra large insulated dog house and the Run is a Dog Run, 10x10 with top......

Best of Luck.....You will be hooked on Ducks also....

Cheers!

I hatched my first three ducklings in middle school, my science teacher had an incubator so I brought in three ducks eggs my friends father gave me. They certainly imprinted on me. Angel was my girl but she had an angel wing. My babies followed me around the yard and I loved them so much which is why I am looking forward to getting ducks again. I use to keep mine in a dog kennel as well but I had the pool inside. That cage was hard to keep dry, I was putting down new shavings daily. I guess keeping it out would have been wiser.

I hatched my first three ducklings in middle school, my science teacher had an incubator so I brought in three ducks eggs my friends father gave me. They certainly imprinted on me. Angel was my girl but she had an angel wing. My babies followed me around the yard and I loved them so much which is why I am looking forward to getting ducks again. I use to keep mine in a dog kennel as well but I had the pool inside. That cage was hard to keep dry, I was putting down new shavings daily. I guess keeping it out would have been wiser.
Mine is sloped and I have gravel and sidewalk blocks down so I can hose it out as needed........Never had issues with sore feet....

You must be so excited thinking about your new Ducks?......I love the silly Birds.....Feathered Puppies!

Cheers!

I am, my ducks were so much fun until a dog came and got two of them.

They use to swim in our bathtub as babies and fall asleep on the bed with me. I can tell as ducklings they were always a lot more attached to me than the chickens. They also use to follow me around the yard and if I ran they would flap their wings and try flying after me xD I look forward to having that again. I wished we had kept Drake but after the dog got the other two my mom decided it was best if we gave him to someone with more ducks rather than keep him alone but honestly I think it was harder for him to leave me. My dad had also brought up a wild wooduck who lived completely in the house but when fall came my dad told him it was okay for him to leave and go with the other ducks. He said goodbye to my dad one morning and the back door. My dad still thinks he came back the next year with a lady though because he said he would hear Woody talking to him like he use to from the woods and that same year he had a female duck laid eggs in his big old oak tree.

This is my Drake.....He loves me....I am his Sunshine....Silly Bird........He cries for me still and he is 10 months old...wags his tail and chats away.....

I am excited for you....Post picks once you decide when and what you want.....

Best of Luck.....I love all Ducks.......

Back
Top Bottom