Dream Duck - What's yours?

Oh, so many. My dream breed hands-down has got to be Saxonies, especially the Saxony hens. I still remember first searching through duck breeds and coming across this picture from McMurray’s hatchery - I mean, how stunning 😍
IMG_3727.jpeg

My other top favorite breeds are Blue Swedish, Cayuga, and Welsh Harlequin hens, specifically the Welshes with lotsss of extra white. Here’s another great example from McMurray.
IMG_3729.jpeg

*Edit to add, I also have a newfound love for Muscovy ducks! I don’t have a specific color or breed that I like yet, but I do love their caruncles and long, wagging tails :love

My actual dream duck plumage that doesn’t really have a specific breed would be a chocolate, white-bibbed duck with random splotches of white throughout their body. These pictures of the Chocolate Anconas from Worth It Farms is rather similar, but not quite what I’m imagining.
IMG_3730.jpeg

Personally, I’d want the duck to be mostly chocolate, and have the white-bib and white-splotches be distinguishable from each other.

Despite it being a defect, I do still quite like the appearance of crested ducks, so if any of these ducks were also crested, it would just be the cherry on top ☺️

I haven’t really thought about a dream temperament. I think the obvious answer is ducks that walk right up to you, follow you around, don’t mind being touched, and drakes that never fight, and always ask for consent to mate 🤣 But that’s a bit unrealistic, hence it being a ‘dream’ temperament.

I basically have my dream temperament with my ducks already - they’re loud, bossy, walk up to me for food, will eat out of my hands. One of my hens wags her tail just at the sight of me. My drake is about as mellow as a drake can be. It’s very nice. I don’t think I’d change a thing :)

Last edited:
MUSCOVY! (you needed to ask?) I would love to get some Lavenders. I love all their patterns, but I think my preferred one is the Whitehead Magpie pattern.

As for regular domestics, I really like Buff Orpingtons, as well as Saxony and Welsh Harlequins.
Ohh, I wasn’t even thinking about Muscovies:th just the domestic-mallard breeds. I need to add Muscovy to my answer!!

Six months ago, I finally bit the bullet and purchased three of my dream ducks (Welsh, Appleyard, & Blue Swedish hens). The only remaining ones I want are a Magpie hen and a Saxony drake. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get my Saxony drake until I lose my 1st Gen drakes.
I am with Canadian Wind on the self-cleaning type of duck. :barnie

Side note: I'm a new chicken mom now too :)
1000029620.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, so many. My dream breed hands-down has got to be Saxonies, especially the Saxony hens. I still remember first searching through duck breeds and coming across this picture from McMurray’s hatchery - I mean, how stunning 😍
View attachment 3766757
This is my new dream breed!! How prettyyyy
MUSCOVY! (you needed to ask?) I would love to get some Lavenders. I love all their patterns, but I think my preferred one is the Whitehead Magpie pattern.

As for regular domestics, I really like Buff Orpingtons, as well as Saxony and Welsh Harlequins.
Oh my GOSH are lavenders pretty. I love any lavender bird

Back
Top Bottom