Looking for opinions . . . To Raise or not to Raise

Should I raise this coop, or build scratching area to the side or front of this (soon to be) coop?

• Yes, raise it and put scratching area underneath.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No, leave it on the ground and build scratching are to the side.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Derickdewayne

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 11, 2014
10528026_10202096907494659_188762964_n.jpg

Asking for opinions . . . This playhouse is going to be converted into our chicken coop. We are going to paint it barn red with white trim.

The opinion I am asking for is . . . I have considered raising this house off the ground about three feet, fencing in the bottom and adding a walkway to the fenced in area below it. My thinking is that it would look neater than building a scratching area onto the side of or the front of it.What do you "chicken pros" think of that?

From the picture it looks pretty heavy to lift up I would leave it on the ground and install a wire apron to prevent anything digging in, a dog kennel run is easy to set up and expand if needed, they are easy to put a roof on and don't look out of the normal, you would have a very hard time getting under it to clean and would probably never go under it then it will start to smell, it might look neater but isn't user friendly.

Quote: I would definitely raise the coop at least a foot or the height of a cinder block (keep the holes visible unless you have a platform to rest the holes on) just to keep the structure sound and to deter rodents from inhabiting it.

There are pros and cons to letting your chickens have access under your coop.
It provides shade for your birds and a cool place to dust bathe.
I agree it gives a neater appearance.
Utilizes otherwise wasted space.

It maybe a bit harder to clean and maintain under the coop.
You maybe trying to fish out hens that fail to roost at night.

The trick would be ensuring the stability of it, how heavy is it? most of my chicken coops are raised i like the dust bath area and they make excellent feed hanging spots to keep it out the weather. That said, big heavy buildings it may not be realistic.

As the others have said it really depends on how heavy it is. I do agree that it's a good idea to get it off the ground a little so that rodents will be less likely to get in and there is less chance of advanced rot from moisture.

I appreciate all of the great responses. The coop is very heavy, but I can get it off the ground if that is the best thing to do. Please keep the opinions coming.

I'm with Hokum on this one. I'd raise it if it was mine. Shade, scratching area is all fine and good, but the MAIN reason, IMO, raise it so you can can see what's going on under there. Rats, and mice, and who knows what else, just love a dark, hidden place close to a food supply. And once they set up house, they are tough to get rid of. Put her up on blocks.

My coop is raised with part of the run underneath, my only compliant is that I raised it too much and it makes some maintenance chores a little more difficult than if it was a little lower. If it was 6-8" lower it would be easier for me but I can deal with it where it is. I would do it again if I ever build another one.

If you can raise it, my vote would be to go for it.

My vote is also to raise it up. An ounce of prevention and all. Once the plague-bearers move in and there is only a half-inch of rotting floorboard between their gnawing little teeth and your girls you might find yourself wishing you'd taken the time. Additionally, on stilts/blocks it would provide great shade/rain shelter and cover from potential aerial assault.

Back
Top Bottom