Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A licence/permit is required and it is over $50 annually

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

sjmjrgkmg

Songster
11 Years
May 10, 2009
Re-posting my question with a poll attached. I'm trying to gather some data regarding license fees in different towns and cities, as the poultry permit fee in our city just doubled. Your feedback is deeply appreciated.
Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean "license/permit" to keep chickens. We are outside city limits (way out!) and we can do what we want regarding keeping chickens. If we want to sell eggs however, we have to get an "Egg Handler's Permit" which costs $75 initially and $50 annually. Also you have to pay 15 cents for every 30 dozen eggs sold. Most people don't get this "permit" in my area, but I am, sent it in today. California is expensive.

Our small town just passed an ordinance and the permit fee is $75. Crazy high, but it's what it took for now to get it passed. We will try to get the cost down after time proves backyard chickens won't be a big nuisance to the city.

Our small town just passed an ordinance and the permit fee is $75. Crazy high, but it's what it took for now to get it passed. We will try to get the cost down after time proves backyard chickens won't be a big nuisance to the city.
That is outrageous! Sorry you have to deal with that and hopefully it can be lowered quickly.

Where are you? City, state would be helpful! That's a lot of money just to get to "have" chickens! Sounds worse than California, unless it IS California! ;)

I guess I don't get the issue with permit fees since at least it means you can have chickens - think of all the areas where you can't, at all (the 30 dozen egg tax is a little goofy though... you'd think they'd just charge the amount they want in the fees upfront). I don't have any fees for livestock or poultry but its $30 annually to license 1 dog. I don't think most people have issue with dog and cat licensing fees do they?

$488 if I wanted to keep more than the allowable number :lau:lau:lau But seeing as that is 320 for my property I think I'll be fine. (Only allowed 8 roosters though). Is a continual permit though so once off fee.

I'm in Northern Wisconsin. We are lucky it passed at all. I presented a lot of research and facts along with local support to get it passed. In 2012 the city voted it down quickly so I'm happy with the $75 for now!

ETA: We also have to have neighbor approval that the city oversees. There are very strict coop restrictions with property lines and such as well.

ETA: We also have to have neighbor approval that the city oversees. There are very strict coop restrictions with property lines and such as well.

I didn't vote on the poll because ours is a one time fee, but it was under $30. We also have to get the neighbors to sign off on it, find a "sponsor" organization, and follow the strict guidelines for where and how the coop is built.

I guess I don't get the issue with permit fees since at least it means you can have chickens - think of all the areas where you can't, at all (the 30 dozen egg tax is a little goofy though... you'd think they'd just charge the amount they want in the fees upfront). I don't have any fees for livestock or poultry but its $30 annually to license 1 dog. I don't think most people have issue with dog and cat licensing fees do they?
Yeah, I do. Here you only have to license a dog (never a cat) in the city limits, which I am not. I have 4 dogs! Why pay a fee to have an animal that takes and never gives, except for love? We don't pay any fees to be allowed to "have" animals. I chose to get the Egg Handler's License to sell my eggs legally from my farm. That way I can advertise, put up signs on the main road, etc. I have a legally registered fictitious business name I paid for as well. We are Peppercorn Acres!

Back
Top Bottom