Looking for pictures of waterfowl colour mutations

ll said Kansaskid.
yes the US pales in comparison to the European collections when it comes to mutations in waterfowl. One they (the Europeans) have had waterfowl collections as a whole way longer that the folks here in the states. Two, until recent years, the desire for mutations here hasnt been very big, as many, myself included prefer to keep them in their natural state. Back in the day many breeders would just cull off colored birds and continue with the normal versions. Then someone decided mutations were 'rare" and should cost a fortune so the tides turned and now everyone is set out and intent on making a dozen mutations for every species seems like. While yes, they are a naturally occurring phenomenon, you can intentionally breed to created them or once created just water every normal colored bird down into splits for this that and the other.
This is a two sided sword. While I do in fact like a lot of the mutations, I have yet to see one as beautiful as it's natural counterpart and find myself wondering when do we draw the line? I know there are tons of normal birds out there still, but think way down the road...will there come a day when we had split stuff up so much that the normal phase is considered unusual?

As for the US mutations out there, there may be more, but here's a list of the commonly found ones. As I said, there may well be more, most likely are, but they would be in just a few select collections at this time.
wood duck- white, silver, apricot
mandarin, white, white throat
ring teal- blond- white
fulvous treeduck- silver
eytons treeduck- silver
bahama pintail- silver
red head- white
american widgeon- blonde
common eider- white

If you know of others feel free to copy and add to the list

could you maybe get a picture of the silver eyton , i would love to see them, thanks for the info, Lobo, do you perhaps have a list of what the breeders keep in Poland from mutations,

Mvg,

Peacock

someone sent me these on my email: [email protected], if you want sent me pictures and i will post them, this one is a beautifull bird

109597_albino_manengans.png

109597_albino_manengans_een.png

Quote:
I have only seen them once or twice. They are one of the rarer mutations still. They do look very similar to the eyton pic Dr. Todd posted a page back, just with a more silvery cast over all. I personally do not have any pics of them, will post some if I come across them though

In Poland:

Egyptian goose - white
Mandarin duck - white, apricot, black, ginger, blond, pure white (albino), piebald and soon golden
American wood duck - white, apricot, blue-pastel ( aka steel) , fawn-pastel, silver and soon blond and platinum
Ringed teal- blond, silver, white
Chiloe wigeon - blond
Northern Pintail - blond
Bahama Pintail - blond, silver, white
Baikal teal - silver
Speckled teal - silver
Red-crested pochard - blond
White-faced whistling duck - silver
Fulvous whistling duck - blond

Hi Lobo,

if possible can you post pictures of speckeld teal blond, chloe widgeon blond, bahama blond, bahama white, Mandarin pure white(albino),northern pintail blond, ringed teal white and the white faced whistling duck silver,

Thanks in advance

Peacock

Another australian wood duck mutation

Cinnamon
109597_cinnamon_manengans.png

109597_cinnamon_manengans2.png

In belgium we have:

Mandarin: white, black, blonde, apricot, Korean
Wood Duck: white, blonde, apricot
Bahama pintail: silver, apricot, blue, white
Chilean Teal: silver
Ringed Teal: blonde, silver, blue
Fulvous treeduck: blonde
Egyptian goose: white, blue
Redbreasted goose: blonde
Redhead: silver
Baikal Teal: silver
Red Crested pochard : blonde
Northern pintail: blonde, white
Hooded Merganser: blonde
Common Eider: white
Laysan teal: Black

Peacock:
Can you post larger photos? My old eyes can't get a good look at these tiny photos!
thumbsup.gif

DT

Back
Top Bottom