Looking for plans for chicken run that does not require driving posts

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
I would like to expand my chicken run, however the only direction I can go is where the the septic lines run through to the drainage field, so driving posts is out of the question. I looked through the Coop & Run forum here last night till I was googley-eyed, and never found one that was build purely above ground. I'm envisioning the type that are attached to portable chicken tractors, but on a much larger scale. I'm thinking 8' wide by 30' long. Half of one side can be anchored to the barn, the last half of that same side can be anchored to the existing run where there are T-posts and welded wire fencing. If anyone has any suggestions or can direct me to a link of a similar run I would greatly appreciate it!

We did a wood framed hoop coop that rested above ground with no posts driven - - simple box frame on the ground, build your "hoop" by placing the panels on the inside of the frame, finish the ends however you want and you have a run......build the base right and you can make it tractor-able to be mobile vs. fixed in one place. Ours was HEAVY so would have required some sort of mechanical effort to move it once we had it in place, but we *could* have hooked it to the truck, a tractor, etc and moved it around.

Never had an issue with diggin in/out by birds or predators but this could easily be modified if that is a concern with the use of wire, pavers, etc

Nice hoop coop @Ol Grey Mare !
You could put an anti digger apron on that too.
Alas, it was left behind in Indiana when we moved this summer --- the new setup (to be constructed this winter/spring) will be on a much smaller scale and is of indefinite design as of yet.

I LOVE that set up Ol Grey Mare! I just may do that and run hardware cloth down the side and outward (is that what you meant by anti digger apron, aart?). Thanks!

This run is 5' x 8' made with treated 2x6's sitting on 12" concrete square pavers in each corner. The frame is all 2 x 4's and the runners for the corrigated roofing are treated 1 x 4's inclosed with hardware cloth.It was build seperate from the coop.

Back
Top Bottom