Looking for some advice for my Chickie Babie's home

Rsc2771

In the Brooder
May 25, 2018
North Carolina
Hey All!
So I bought a coop from TSC, and yes it is flimsy, when I got it I made some improvements with extra screws and such. By doing the small improvements it has become more secure.I also buried hardware cloth on the sides.I have 6 females...hopefully...I'm sorry I am a newbie city girl! I want to know if they have enough room, that is my biggest concern, and what I can do to improve their life. I keep them in the pin throughout the day and they go into the coop at night. Slowly we want to free range them after we get a fence! Open to any ideas or suggestions!
20180525_195917.jpg
20180522_174657.jpg
20180522_174649.jpg

Regular size chickens (not bantam) needs 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop and 10 sq ft per chicken in the pen(run). I am pushing it with my plans for 6 hens in a 4x6 coop and 56 sq ft run (it is 8x8 but the internal walls are on the inside of the border so I lost 3” on each side).

Your coop is way over capacity. Your run is way over capacity. Neither part of your setup will keep 6 chickens happy and healthy for long.

Are they bantams or standard size?
I'm ashamed to say I have no idea...I bought 4 of them at TSC as chicks, and obviously they are still young. I don't really know what breed the 4 are I got from TSC because I told the man to surprise me with only females. The I rescued two, I think they are called Top Hats from a lady who wasn't taking care of them. I'm sorry I am not helpful!

Regular size chickens (not bantam) needs 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop and 10 sq ft per chicken in the pen(run). I am pushing it with my plans for 6 hens in a 4x6 coop and 56 sq ft run (it is 8x8 but the internal walls are on the inside of the border so I lost 3” on each side).

Your coop is way over capacity. Your run is way over capacity. Neither part of your setup will keep 6 chickens happy and healthy for long.
Do you hav

That is what I was afraid of :(

I recommend taking a tape measure and measuring the size of your run. length times width in feet (like 4x5 or whatever it is), minus a couple sq ft for the watering jugs, divided by 10 is the amount of chickens your run is sized for with a raised coop (4x5 would be 2). Then measure the size of the floor of your coop excluding nest box space (such as 3x4) and divide by 4 (3x4 would be 3) for the amount of chickens your coop is sized for.

The smaller of these two numbers (2 in the example) is your chicken limit. Then decide if you are happy with that number of chickens or build a bigger setup. That is my recommendation.

Also please note, yes I am sure the TSC box says the number of chickens the setup is for is double or triple the number that you will calculate. These are based on industrial chicken production settings and not people wanting the best for their “babie chickies.” The 4 and 10 sq ft per chicken recommendations are the number that this message board universally agrees upon as the safe stocking calculation.

I recommend taking a tape measure and measuring the size of your run. length times width in feet (like 4x5 or whatever it is), minus a couple sq ft for the watering jugs, divided by 10 is the amount of chickens your run is sized for with a raised coop (4x5 would be 2). Then measure the size of the floor of your coop excluding nest box space (such as 3x4) and divide by 4 (3x4 would be 3) for the amount of chickens your coop is sized for.

The smaller of these two numbers (2 in the example) is your chicken limit. Then decide if you are happy with that number of chickens or build a bigger setup. That is my recommendation.
Thank you! It looks like I have some building to do!

Back
Top Bottom