Looking for some advice on my playhouse conversion coop

Deebot

Songster
Aug 10, 2019
Vancouver, WA
So I was lucky enough that the old property owners left an old playhouse behind the garage. It's very cute and I think it'd be great to start my flock in. It is 46" by 35.5", so about 11.30 sq foot on the inside. I was considering building an extension but I think I might just build an exterior nesting box since there's already a large hole. I think 4 (non-bantam) birds would fit, but do you think I could do 5, or is that pushing it?

Second, there are windows/doors on all sides, (I will remove the boards that are inexplicably over the windows) plus 2 small roof vents. I plan on putting galvanized cloth over the existing windows and doors, and adding the nesting box to the large hole in the back. Should I add another vent above the nesting box, or do you think the current window holes will be enough for the small space?

I plan on elevating the entire thing on a platform and building the run around it so they can access under the coop and have an exterior run thats predator proofed as well.

Check out the pics! :)

coop4.jpg coop3.jpg coop2.jpg coop1.jpg

It could roost 5 if you put the roost bar low, and on the longest side. It would be crowded if they need it for shelter during bad weather, or before they are let out in the run. I wouldn't do more than 3.

I wouldn't put more than 3 in there, assuming the nest box is external. It is very cute though. I'd consider adding another vent but there's no roof overhang so you'll need to think about how to keep rain out of any vent/window openings.

I agree. Not more than 3 or 4. It is cute and has potential! I think you're new here. :frow Hi and welcome to the flock! Be sure and introduce yourself on the New Members page if you haven't already done so.

Thanks for the responses, all! Here is the only quick pic I grabbed of the interior, I was hoping to mount a roost bar on both the left and right sides of the door, so that'd be about 3 feet of roost bar on each side. I am really hoping I can fit 4 in there, as that was my ideal starting number :fl:lol:

Attachments

• coop5.jpg
    coop5.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 19
I agree. Not more than 3 or 4. It is cute and has potential! I think you're new here. :frow Hi and welcome to the flock! Be sure and introduce yourself on the New Members page if you haven't already done so.

Hello and thank you! I will post an intro soon. I've been a longtime lurker, excited to get started! :D

Your boxes will need to be external, I'd convert the back (that has the curtains) with a piece of plywood and your boxes there (2). This will also give you a little more sleeping room because your younger birds or silkies will sleep in the boxes at night. I'd pick it all up on 4x4 treated stilts and wire the bottom to make cleaning easy. The front door will be cut with a little ramp up to it. Overall, a fun project!

Back
Top Bottom