Looking for someone who has experience with Mini Donkeys (sad post)

At 5, you should be able to feel pretty sure about what you are dealing with; he's about the equivalent of a human college student as far as maturity (still capable of having "young and stupid" moments, but if he had an assertive and aggressive personality, you'd certainly know it by now). Sounds like he's a pretty mellow little guy.

As far as the jennet goes, it may be socialization, or it may just be who she is. The donkey/mule hatred for dogs is legendary, yet whether it's all dogs, just unfamiliar dogs, or they really don't seem to give a hoot one way or the other, is to some degree an individual thing. I've talked to people who have had a donkey/mule for years (sometimes several) and never had a problem (some didn't even know that there might be a problem), and I've seen mules that you can't even have a dog on a lead near, because they will go after it, even with the owner right there.:idunno

I don't have mini's, I have a large standard gelding/john. I personally chose not to keep a Jack, especially a large one. Jenny's can be moodier and more testy, especially if in estrus, or having a young one she's protecting. They can be very individual personality wise, and don't necessarily like every other donkey on earth, just like people are with other people. When I introduced my donkey to my cows/calves, he was pastured parallel and they were acquainted with a fence between them until it was obvious there was no tension between them. He now protects them and considers them his. I have dogs, whom he is acquainted with, but whom are never allowed in his pasture as I'm quite sure he would kill them. Not a shred of doubt. I would introduce any new animals the same way, look but don't touch. Sounds like that was your intention and it was accidental that it worked out otherwise. I'm so sorry, I can only imagine the heartbreak. :hugs Despite the small size, he is still a donkey in his brain and heart, I would spend as much time working with him as you can, getting to know his personality and his quirks. Learn equine body language and how they communicate and respond, and it makes it much, much easier to read what is going on with them. Some warnings are very subtle, some are not, like laid back ears and snorting. Clicker or marker training works very well with donkeys, they are smart. My guy is about 750 lbs, does great with the farrier, and in general is pretty easy going. But he is a donkey, and you just can't forget that.

I think your boy will be fine. It must be a riot to see him with chickens on his back and grooming the goat.

Don't worry about missing the injury part of my post. I like to think of it this way: IF I hadn't gotten hurt, I wouldn't have had to spend three months back in my hometown where I stayed with my sister in her one-story house where she could help take care of me (My two-story house wasn't an option at all). My recovery gave me time to spend with her, and once a week, at least, we had dinner with Dad. Three months later, he died.

So, the inconvenience of a broken pelvis weighed against time with my family -- while I can't recommend being stomped by a donkey, it provided some good opportunities.

Enjoy your critters!
There is almost always a silver lining! Glad to hear you had one in this case.
Here's my boy with his chicken friend and his goat BFF lol:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.51.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.51.17 AM.png
    735.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2125.jpg
    IMG_2125.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2120.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have not yet had the time to thoroughly read through all of the comments, but I did read your post a couple times over again.

Firstly, I am so, SO sorry this happened. I'm sure you are devastated. :hit:hugs Goats always seem destined to kill themselves, don't blame yourself for those 2 littles getting out.

Secondly, in the goat world, donkeys are almost infamous for killing/being aggressive towards goats. They are sweet and gentle towards them, until one day they aren't.

Ask almost any experienced goat breeder/owner and they will warn you against keeping donkeys and goats together. I've heard way too many horror stories (including from one of our friends, who lost a lamb or 2 because of their donkey) about them turning on the goats they are supposed to protect. (Donkeys are not guard animals BTW, for anyone reading this and thinking about getting one for that purpose, they are just territorial animals which makes them kill dogs and such - which is why people think they are good guard animals)
I personally would NOT trust your jack with your other goats, or any other donkey for that matter. I would keep them housed separately from now on.

I have not yet had the time to thoroughly read through all of the comments, but I did read your post a couple times over again.

Firstly, I am so, SO sorry this happened. I'm sure you are devastated. :hit:hugs Goats always seem destined to kill themselves, don't blame yourself for those 2 littles getting out.

Secondly, in the goat world, donkeys are almost infamous for killing/being aggressive towards goats. They are sweet and gentle towards them, until one day they aren't.

Ask almost any experienced goat breeder/owner and they will warn you against keeping donkeys and goats together. I've heard way too many horror stories (including from one of our friends, who lost a lamb or 2 because of their donkey) about them turning on the goats they are supposed to protect. (Donkeys are not guard animals BTW, for anyone reading this and thinking about getting one for that purpose, they are just territorial animals which makes them kill dogs and such - which is why people think they are good guard animals)
I personally would NOT trust your jack with your other goats, or any other donkey for that matter. I would keep them housed separately from now on.
The key is whether or not the donkeys were raised with the goats or other livestock. If they aren't you are asking for trouble. I once visited a farm where the goat owner had a mini donkey in with her goats. I believe it was in New Hampshire and she had to guard the goats against dogs, coyotes, and bears. The donkey and the goats got along just fine, but then they were raised together. I don't remember whether the donkey was a female or a gelding but I do know it wasn't a jack.

The key is whether or not the donkeys were raised with the goats or other livestock. If they aren't you are asking for trouble. I once visited a farm where the goat owner had a mini donkey in with her goats. I believe it was in New Hampshire and she had to guard the goats against dogs, coyotes, and bears. The donkey and the goats got along just fine, but then they were raised together. I don't remember whether the donkey was a female or a gelding but I do know it wasn't a jack.

From what I've heard, even donkeys born and raised with goats can just suddenly turn aggressive. Especially when you bring a new goat into the herd, or some kids are born. Donkeys are just not a good option for goat owners period. :( Too risky IMO.

I can't argue the point because I no longer have goats and I have no intention of getting a donkey, miniature or otherwise. I just threw that in because I thought it was interesting. The woman I referred to had a small dairy so there were always goats coming and going. I assume the does were separated out when they kidded so I have no idea how the donkey interacted with young stock. Anyway, the goats and donkey combination worked out for her and at the time I was there they had been housed together for several years. There was just one donkey. I have no idea whether that would make a difference.

This is a little off topic, but when I was a very small child, a neighbor had mules in the pasture that adjoined ours. My parents drummed, or tried to, into my toddler head that under no circumstances was I to venture into the pasture with those mules but I don't think they told me why. I was given no such warning about horses. In fact we had several horses at the time. However, having seen my father milk a cow, I decided one day it would be a fine idea to try to milk one of the mules. I got a bucket and a lead rope and I was crawling under the fence when my collie grabbed me by the seat of the pants and dragged me away. Her hysterical barking brought my mother running. I don't remember much else. By the way, the mules' names were Jack and John. I was about three.

If my goats get out into the donkey pasture my donkeys will attack them. I believe if you want a donkey as a guard animal for sheep, or goats it needs to be the only one, and needs to be bonded to those animals. In my experiences Jennies are a bit more prone to go after other animals, as jacks can be a bit more lazy, but both can be dangerous.

I personally wouldn't automatically trust a donkey with new critters. I've even had mine stomp a muscovy drake to death because 2 were fighting.

Donkeys are wonderful animals, but they are emotion, and prone to doing things out of the blue. Your jack could just start acting out one day, than go back to being mellow again.

You need to separate out the donkeys or goats. When Jack donkeys play they grab each other buy the top of the neck and push down. So even in play a donkey can injure a goat. When threatened they will stomp a critter, to death if possible.

Sorry about your goat kids. :hmm

If my goats get out into the donkey pasture my donkeys will attack them. I believe if you want a donkey as a guard animal for sheep, or goats it needs to be the only one, and needs to be bonded to those animals. In my experiences Jennies are a bit more prone to go after other animals, as jacks can be a bit more lazy, but both can be dangerous.

I personally wouldn't automatically trust a donkey with new critters. I've even had mine stomp a muscovy drake to death because 2 were fighting.

Donkeys are wonderful animals, but they are emotion, and prone to doing things out of the blue. Your jack could just start acting out one day, than go back to being mellow again.

You need to separate out the donkeys or goats. When Jack donkeys play they grab each other buy the top of the neck and push down. So even in play a donkey can injure a goat. When threatened they will stomp a critter, to death if possible.

Sorry about your goat kids. :hmm
Thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom