Looking for someone who has experience with Mini Donkeys (sad post)

Mar 28, 2019
Parrish Florida
We have two mini donkeys. Our Jack is a real sweetheart. We've had him almost a year. He came from a farm where they raise minis and we were told he'd be okay without another mini. Fast forward a few months (after reading tons of things that say he needs a companion) we got a Jenny (from a local farm). Both donkeys were in a decent size (about an acre and a half) pasture with 2 goats, lots of chickens, turkeys and a pot belly pig. Everyone got along beautifully. In fact they all grazed together, ran around and played and slept near each other.

We recently added a few baby goats to the farm. We kept them in a separate fenced in area where one side backed to the pasture (so everyone could get aquatinted safely). Unfortunately two of the goats got out (when we were out) and into the pasture.

When we got home one was dead and the other was in the jenny's mouth and she was flinging her head back and forth.

I am devastated and feel truly horrible. We checked the fence and I still don't know how they got into the pasture.

At this point I can't keep the Jenny. I'm not someone who takes animal ownership lightly, but I cannot look at her, and I just can't.

The Jack has never been aggressive and is much more affectionate. Still I worry about him now too.

I have found a nice home for the Jenny and the Jack is in a separate part of our yard. It's not ideal to keep him there long term though.

Is there a chance he will become aggressive after seeing her that way? Also, I know it's going to be hard for him to loose his companion and we will need another companion if he stays. I don't want to re-home him too, but if there's an *increased* risk (I know theres always some risk) that he'll attack our remaining goats than I need to seriously think about rehoming him too.

*Please try not to be too harsh or judgmental. I truly am beating myself up enough.

We have two mini donkeys. Our Jack is a real sweetheart. We've had him almost a year. He came from a farm where they raise minis and we were told he'd be okay without another mini. Fast forward a few months (after reading tons of things that say he needs a companion) we got a Jenny (from a local farm). Both donkeys were in a decent size (about an acre and a half) pasture with 2 goats, lots of chickens, turkeys and a pot belly pig. Everyone got along beautifully. In fact they all grazed together, ran around and played and slept near each other.

We recently added a few baby goats to the farm. We kept them in a separate fenced in area where one side backed to the pasture (so everyone could get aquatinted safely). Unfortunately two of the goats got out (when we were out) and into the pasture.

When we got home one was dead and the other was in the jenny's mouth and she was flinging her head back and forth.

I am devastated and feel truly horrible. We checked the fence and I still don't know how they got into the pasture.

At this point I can't keep the Jenny. I'm not someone who takes animal ownership lightly, but I cannot look at her, and I just can't.

The Jack has never been aggressive and is much more affectionate. Still I worry about him now too.

I have found a nice home for the Jenny and the Jack is in a separate part of our yard. It's not ideal to keep him there long term though.

Is there a chance he will become aggressive after seeing her that way? Also, I know it's going to be hard for him to loose his companion and we will need another companion if he stays. I don't want to re-home him too, but if there's an *increased* risk (I know theres always some risk) that he'll attack our remaining goats than I need to seriously think about rehoming him too.

*Please try not to be too harsh or judgmental. I truly am beating myself up enough.
Oh dear...I'm so sorry about your little goats. I can't offer any advice, I don't know much about donkey's. Hopefully, Jack will be just fine. I wouldn't think he turn aggressive after not having been that way. Wishing you better luck from here out :hugs

I am so sorry about your experience. Sometimes, our best intentions go awry. I got a pair of mini-donkeys (almost standard size, 400-pounders) as guardians for our hair sheep and miniature goats.

When Tommy died, I felt badly for Jerry. Eventually, I got him a new companion. He HATED Hammy. So much so that when I went to give Hammy a treat, Jerry turned on me, and I ended up with a fractured pelvis. I didn't blame Jerry. He tried to tell me he wanted the treats, and I didn't listen.

However, while he and Tommy would occasionally nip at the sheep, neither showed serious aggression toward the other critters. I can't imagine how awful this must be for you. I would keep the jack and give him the benefit of the doubt.

As far as the goats go, my experience is that with the exception of fainter crosses, all of my miniature goats have, at one time or another, figured out how to escape wherever they were penned. Don't blame yourself for that.

BTW, the other human member of the household insisted on sending Hammy back to the rescue group that brought him here and Jerry went with him. Both were successfully rehomed.

Keep us posted. My thoughts are with you.

I can tell you donkeys can be very aggressive toward animals they are not used to. I think they need to be introduced to other animals at a young age and more or less grow up with them.

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing animals is always painful, but when your own animal kills another, it's a whole different shade of horrible. :hugs

Sadly, some donkeys can be that way. They are frequently territorial, and tend to resent what they see as intruders into their space. I have heard some people talk about having to separate their donkey from pregnant females, because it would attack the newborn babies (I've even heard of jacks that would do this with their own offspring!) They aren't all like that, of course; some are fine with livestock, and reserve their ire for predators, and others don't "guard" worth beans.:rolleyes:

As to whether your jack may become aggressive after this? Only time will tell. How old is he? Serious aggression is more of a mature male-type behavior; there are lots of people who will tell you that you can never fully trust an intact jack, and only an experienced donkey person should keep one. In the case of Callender Girl's Jerry, it's a good thing he was re-homed. Any animal that will attack you is seriously lacking in respect, and respect is the only thing that keeps us safe around equines that are bigger and stronger than we are (sorry, but love by itself is not enough!) For everyone to be safe, they need an owner that they will respect, and if that isn't you, it's better that they belong to someone else.:idunno

I am so sorry about your experience. Sometimes, our best intentions go awry. I got a pair of mini-donkeys (almost standard size, 400-pounders) as guardians for our hair sheep and miniature goats.

When Tommy died, I felt badly for Jerry. Eventually, I got him a new companion. He HATED Hammy. So much so that when I went to give Hammy a treat, Jerry turned on me, and I ended up with a fractured pelvis. I didn't blame Jerry. He tried to tell me he wanted the treats, and I didn't listen.

However, while he and Tommy would occasionally nip at the sheep, neither showed serious aggression toward the other critters. I can't imagine how awful this must be for you. I would keep the jack and give him the benefit of the doubt.

As far as the goats go, my experience is that with the exception of fainter crosses, all of my miniature goats have, at one time or another, figured out how to escape wherever they were penned. Don't blame yourself for that.

BTW, the other human member of the household insisted on sending Hammy back to the rescue group that brought him here and Jerry went with him. Both were successfully rehomed.

Keep us posted. My thoughts are with you.

I just read this on the computer instead of my phone. I had only seen part of your message I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. That must have been very painful. I'm glad you are all right!

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing animals is always painful, but when your own animal kills another, it's a whole different shade of horrible. :hugs

Sadly, some donkeys can be that way. They are frequently territorial, and tend to resent what they see as intruders into their space. I have heard some people talk about having to separate their donkey from pregnant females, because it would attack the newborn babies (I've even heard of jacks that would do this with their own offspring!) They aren't all like that, of course; some are fine with livestock, and reserve their ire for predators, and others don't "guard" worth beans.:rolleyes:

As to whether your jack may become aggressive after this? Only time will tell. How old is he? Serious aggression is more of a mature male-type behavior; there are lots of people who will tell you that you can never fully trust an intact jack, and only an experienced donkey person should keep one. In the case of Callender Girl's Jerry, it's a good thing he was re-homed. Any animal that will attack you is seriously lacking in respect, and respect is the only thing that keeps us safe around equines that are bigger and stronger than we are (sorry, but love by itself is not enough!) For everyone to be safe, they need an owner that they will respect, and if that isn't you, it's better that they belong to someone else.:idunno
He is 5 and he is intact. I was nervous about this but he's very sweet. I was told to be careful with the female as he would try and try to mate her possibly hurting her of himself. We watched very closely and he was never aggressive with her. If he tried and she wasn't interested than he would walk away. He was well socialized with other donkeys and other animals (goats, chicken etc.) before we got him. I don't think the Jenny was. The people we bought her from seemed a bit sketchy but we took her because we thought we could give her a good life. If our Jack was even a bit aggressive I would have had him gelded or look to re-home him (but he never was).
He lets the chickens stand on his back and he spends a lot of time with our wethered pigmy. I've even seen him groom the goat.

I think your boy will be fine. It must be a riot to see him with chickens on his back and grooming the goat.

Don't worry about missing the injury part of my post. I like to think of it this way: IF I hadn't gotten hurt, I wouldn't have had to spend three months back in my hometown where I stayed with my sister in her one-story house where she could help take care of me (My two-story house wasn't an option at all). My recovery gave me time to spend with her, and once a week, at least, we had dinner with Dad. Three months later, he died.

So, the inconvenience of a broken pelvis weighed against time with my family -- while I can't recommend being stomped by a donkey, it provided some good opportunities.

Enjoy your critters!

Back
Top Bottom