Looking for "Speckledey" Hens

Stevo52979

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 15, 2008
Fair Grove, MO
I am looking for "Speckledy" hens near SW Missouri (Fair Grove) or mail order. I love the way t hese hens look, and the color of their eggs. (Dark chestnut brown)

Please Help!
big_smile.png

Steve

I've found them on a lot of UK Hatchery sites
http://haydonbridgehens.co.uk/hen.html

"Our Spekledy hens are a real treat for the eyes. Another hybrid, this time, derived from the French Maran breed, and retaining the look of the original, but with vastly improved egg-laying capability. Like the Maran, it produces rich brown eggs and is a very docile and friendly bird."

They have speckled white, black, and red feathers. They're beautiful.

Speckledy

History
The Speckledy is a modern hybrid and comes from a Rhode Island Red crossed with a Maran. The feathering closely resembles that of a Maran but it is a far more prolific egg layer. They are large yet elegant birds with a deep breast, upward pointing tail and pale legs. The comb is medium, red and serrated and the face is smooth. The earlobes and wattles are small and smooth and the beak curved and mottled. They have pale bay eyes.
Behaviour
The Speckledy is a docile, easily handled bird. They are excellent and reliable layers of dark chestnut brown eggs which are usually speckled. The eggshells are particularly strong and the yolks deep yellow. They are well suited to free ranging and enjoy foraging. Their feathers are silky soft and abundant.
Varieties
Speckledys are cuckoo coloured with the colouration ranging from very dark grey to silver.

http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/breeds.php?breed_type=Chickens&breed=Speckledy

I'd be surprised if you find them in this country. We are still working on the Marans in this country, nevermind developing a new outcross for them. I think if you really want them then you might have to develop your own. If you get a nice quality cuckoo marans you may get the look you like, but not production level laying. Good luck!
Krista

That is cool! I might have to try this cross.Is it a RIR hen or roo? I'm thinking a RIR hen,otherwise the chick would look like a black sex link. Is that right?

Back
Top Bottom