Looking for "Speckledey" Hens

Just wanted to thank all of you for being so kind, and responding to my questions, you've made me feel very welcome here, and I will keep coming back for sure!!!! What other breeds are known for dark dark eggs? I know Welsummers, and Marans, are there any others?

Penedesenca and Barnevelders are also supposed to have the dark eggs, but those are the only four breeds I know of.

Thanks for the compliment. You can check out my page for some pics(not very good quality,I need a good camera) and details. I have a list going for shipping beginning in October. Message me to get on it. My girls have been on strike for the past few weeks,moulting and brooding. I have gotten a beauitful egg the last 3 days,I'd say a solid 7 on the chart. My mouth is watering to finally get one that rates an 8,but I'll take a 7.

hi,
The Speckledy is a modern hybrid and comes from a Rhode Island Red crossed with a Maran. The feathering closely resembles that of a Maran but it is a far more prolific egg layer. They are large yet elegant birds with a deep breast, upward pointing tail and pale legs. The comb is medium, red and serrated and the face is smooth.
========================================
kimz

South Carolina Drug Treatment

I also read that this bird lays eggs that are not only dark brown, they are speckled. Which would be pretty cool IMO. There are many of these breeds that are available in the UK. This is one which should be easy to replicate with a cross breeding program. The Legbars (there are several varieties) are some of the other crosses inthe UK. The Legbars are considered true breeds since they breed true and are included in the British Standards. They are also sex links. I would love to get my hands on some of these chickens. One interesting thing I read is that not all of these breeds originated in the UK, apparently some have roots in the US (and were originally developed here), but fell out of favor after WWII and disappeared from the US due to lack of demand. Apparently there was more desire for pure breeds after WWII in the US. The British had a mindset at the time of utility, and they took to these breeds and continued to develop them and others. Which is why they are popular and available there and not here. On my next UK trip I may try to get some eggs of these different breeds to bring back (somehow)
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom