Looking for Swedish Flower Hens

I am in Crescent City... a beautiful drive up 101 between the 2 cities! 7 hours each way. (I know you were actually asking @Gray Farms
 )

I saw they are also putting together an updated breeder information page. It should be a great resource once completed!
I got some Dutch breeds because that is where my Father in Love (law) is from!

Even just as pets, I think the SFH are exceptional!

Also, I don't know anybody who sells sexed chicks, so if you want only hens you will need a back up plan for the cockerels. I can usually tell gender by 6 weeks in this breed.

As far as hatcheries go.... Green Fire Farms sell their chicks for $29 each, unsexed. They are one of the most popular if not the only, as they are the ones who originally imported the breed, I believe in 2010.

You can see I am more interested in helping you find the birds than worried about selling mine next year. Although I will be excited when I get to that point, I just like being helpful!

Good luck!

Thank you ! Please keep me posted - my email is [email protected]. My hubby has graciously offered to drive with me up there!!!

Thank you ! Please keep me posted - my email is [email protected]. My hubby has graciously offered to drive with me up there!!!
Sounds like fun! You and you little doggie are so cute. Your hubby sounds like a nice guy. Mine is too, they just want us to be happy. It's catch 22 because we want the same for them.
smile.png

What age chicks are you wanting to get and how many are you thinking? Stinks that you might have to wait until next season, but this late in the year they won't start laying until next year anyways.

My Pet Chicken sells sexed Swedish Flower Hen chicks.  They offer both the Non-Crested and Crested Varieties.  They look to be sold out until 2017 but eggs are available.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/product-search.aspx?catID=0&Strname=swedish flower hens&CatName=

Hope this helps :)

Thank you but I believe I have contacted every one who breeds SFH - there is someone here in mill valley who has a 1.5 yr old SFH but I'm still waiting for pictures. I have googled a lot breeders - I don't really want eggs because I don't have a set up for incubating them and I can't take chances on having cockerels
1f629.png
ANd also many of the breeders have a minimum of at least 6 chicks to ship for warmth and again they are unsexed. I will wait for the right time I guess - some one who responded may have some next spring !
1f64f-1f3fc.png

Now is the time to start hitting your local state and county, and regional fairs. Loads of chickens there. Loads of them for sale. Tons of breeders to talk to and buy from. Don't neglect the 4H kids. Their birds are usually top notch. And then, there is the food....
1f917.png

Now is the time to start hitting your local state and county, and regional fairs. Loads of chickens there. Loads of them for sale. Tons of breeders to talk to and buy from. Don't neglect the 4H kids. Their birds are usually top notch. And then, there is the food....
1f917.png
I agree county fairs are a great place to meet chicken folk.

I was so disappointed that I planned to attend our poultry show for half of the year and then spaced it off until the day it was over!
he.gif

That's the problem with hubbies' days off changing and kids no longer in school.... I can't remember what day it is most of the time.
hmm.png
I try to remember trash day, but sometimes not until I hear them coming.
tongue.png

Thank you but I believe I have contacted every one who breeds SFH - there is someone here in mill valley who has a 1.5 yr old SFH but I'm still waiting for pictures. I have googled a lot breeders - I don't really want eggs because I don't have a set up for incubating them and I can't take chances on having cockerels
1f629.png
ANd also many of the breeders have a minimum of at least 6 chicks to ship for warmth and again they are unsexed. I will wait for the right time I guess - some one who responded may have some next spring !
1f64f-1f3fc.png

Bump up

Did you ever find them? I’m looking too and am in Bay Area too
Hi, that was me that she got them from... after driving 7 hours each way, since I am not NPIP and it's illegal to ship chicks without it.

I don't currently have them.. as quite honestly, they weren't the BEST or my favorite out of all the breeds I have tried. That beings said, when not being compared to others and as a smaller flock all their own, they are nice enough birds. :)

Anyways, I had a difficult time finding the SFH thread that I know has at least a few breeders. Wait, here it is..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/swedish-flower-hen-thread.375288/page-786#post-12877307

I personally have seen some very low quality hatchery chicks and the only thing they have going for them id being able to sex them. So if you are able to deal with any cockerels that might pop up, I would definitely go with a breeder if possible.

I will tag some, who I THINK might have them or know others who do. Actually, now I see you already found that thread! And you are looking specifically for CA peeps.. so anyone I was going to tag is probably on that thread already.

I do know of a breeder in the Redding area. PM me so I will be able to find you again after I see if I can find the info I have for that one.

Best wishes finding them! :fl :jumpy

Hi, that was me that she got them from... after driving 7 hours each way, since I am not NPIP and it's illegal to ship chicks without it.

I don't currently have them.. as quite honestly, they weren't the BEST or my favorite out of all the breeds I have tried. That beings said, when not being compared to others and as a smaller flock all their own, they are nice enough birds. :)

Anyways, I had a difficult time finding the SFH thread that I know has at least a few breeders. Wait, here it is..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/swedish-flower-hen-thread.375288/page-786#post-12877307

I personally have seen some very low quality hatchery chicks and the only thing they have going for them id being able to sex them. So if you are able to deal with any cockerels that might pop up, I would definitely go with a breeder if possible.

I will tag some, who I THINK might have them or know others who do. Actually, now I see you already found that thread! And you are looking specifically for CA peeps.. so anyone I was going to tag is probably on that thread already.

I do know of a breeder in the Redding area. PM me so I will be able to find you again after I see if I can find the info I have for that one.

Best wishes finding them! :fl :jumpy

Phew
I’m glad I heard back from you
I did find a breeder type in Redding and he said he gave his away but he’d check the gal he gave his flock to. I would really prefer to stick with local as reasonably as possible and definitely a breeder - so he was a good find! I’m crossing fingers. I will also try to attend the APA show this year at the end of January.
I’ve been a Pedigree Cat show person and owner for eons so it’s no surprise I eventually morphed into finding chickens the same way.

I find it’s better to be patient and get the right animal for you. Its worth it.

FYI - there is a small Mill Valley farm but they don’t seem to be as focused on the lineage and the prices are not close to being reasonable. Although I’m sure they are a nice farm :)
Thanks so much btw

Back
Top Bottom