Looking for Timer recommendations for automatic door

ErinG

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2010
Oregon
We just built my 75 year old mother a coop, we have the automatic door ready to go, but I'm having trouble finding a timer that I think she will be able to change and use easily. We use a wifi outlet and I love it, but they don't have wifi out at the coop.
She's able to use a 30 minute increment one they already have, but I'd like something with 15 minutes or the exact time.

Any recommendations?

Interesting concept using a DRAPERY MOTOR,, as power device :thumbsup
Post a link to the one you are using,,, so others can try using same,,, in their projects. :highfive:

Found just what will work for you as timer.
View attachment 2818930

Here is product description..

PRODUCT OVERVIEW​

This handy digital timer is easy to program and offers eight different time schedules for programming your lights to go on and off to the nearest minute. Turn the lights on and off at night, in the morning and at different times on the weekend. This digital timer features a large LCD display, an integrated circuit and two outlet plugs.
  • Eight different time schedules
  • Programmable to the nearest minute
  • Different timer schedule options
  • Push button functions: on, off, auto, week, hour, minute, clock, program
  • Red power indicator light

Here is a quick jump link to product.
https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-timer-95205.html

We use something similar, but it is not super-easy to use, especially when it comes to changing the timer settings. My boyfriend changes them once per month on a schedule that was set by making tweeks over the last several years.

Here is our timer setup. Note: This is a 12V system with two sets of timers because we have two doors to open and close each morning and evening. With one door, we'd have two timers and one control board (blue item in photos). The black box is a battery monitor that tells us the 12V battery voltage at all times. The orange item at the bottom of the photo is the 110V battery maintainer that's plugged into a 110V outlet up near the battery in the top of the coop to charge the 12V battery.

Attachments

• IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    459.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
It is a drapery motor, so power on: open, power off. Power on: close, power off. I need it to go four timer per day. A system like yours sounds like it could work great for their situation, can you tell me more about it or link it?

Interesting concept using a DRAPERY MOTOR,, as power device :thumbsup
Post a link to the one you are using,,, so others can try using same,,, in their projects. :highfive:

Found just what will work for you as timer.
timer,,.PNG

Here is product description..

PRODUCT OVERVIEW​

This handy digital timer is easy to program and offers eight different time schedules for programming your lights to go on and off to the nearest minute. Turn the lights on and off at night, in the morning and at different times on the weekend. This digital timer features a large LCD display, an integrated circuit and two outlet plugs.
  • Eight different time schedules
  • Programmable to the nearest minute
  • Different timer schedule options
  • Push button functions: on, off, auto, week, hour, minute, clock, program
  • Red power indicator light

Here is a quick jump link to product.
https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-timer-95205.html

That is a very nice and clean setup. I like that. However what I don't like is the actual wiring. I take it you got the diagram from that site that many people go to. Not trying to talk bad about the guy and his work but he is showing many people very bad habits when doing wiring. Plus he is using way too many components when all you really need is two timers.

The photo below is just an expanded wiring demo I made just to show the easiest way to wire a coop door. Wire is spread out more so see the routing better. When doing and actual install you can make the wires shorter. No bells or whistles just open and close. The grey thing in the center is a fuse holder. The timers are DIN rail timers and are mounted on the DIN rail. Makes it so much easier to mount. You can literally mount two setups (like you have) for two doors in the same space as just just three of those times you have.

Again I am not trying to talk bad about your work (it looks WAY BETTER than my I have seen setup up this way) but if you do this or have to replace or even if you want to just upgrade, this is the way to go. Plus if anyone else needs this too, I am posting.

And if you really want to save space use a two channel timer. and if you have a good WIFI signal you can use a SONOFF 4CH PRO R3 and have it smart home and RF controlled. Images and diagrams are available if needed.

I don't see how that is any less complicated, and what "bad habits" are you talking about? This is a 12V system that operates efficiently and has for years.

We are opening and closing two (2) doors each day on the same coop, AND we're operating lights in the morning and evening on timers too. It takes as much wiring as it takes to connect the components.

If all we wanted to do is open and close one (1) door each day, I'm told by my bf that we could do it with less than what you've shown above.

I don't know how your automatic door is operated, and controlled, so no idea on suggesting a timer.
If the 30 minute one works,,, then stay with it. Remember to take into account that the daylight time is changing rapidly this time of season.
My auto-pop door is operated with light sensor. No need to change time settings. when it is light in the morning,,,,,,,, opens... At dusk it closes.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

We use something similar, but it is not super-easy to use, especially when it comes to changing the timer settings. My boyfriend changes them once per month on a schedule that was set by making tweeks over the last several years.

Here is our timer setup. Note: There are two sets of timers because we have two doors to open and close each morning and evening. With one door, we'd have two timers and one control board (blue item in photos). The black box is a battery monitor that tells us the 12V battery voltage at all times. The orange item at the bottom of the photo is the 110V battery maintainer that's plugged into a 110V outlet up near the battery in the top of the coop.
Nice setup,,, and I do understand all that complex wiring.
Curious of the power units used for the door opening.

Back
Top Bottom