Looking for waterer recommendations

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Avonlea22, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    Hey all.

I'm about ready to buy a waterer for my 4 hens which will be coming as chicks in two weeks. I have the chick waterer but want to be ready for when they're big enough for the adult one. I've looked on Amazon at several different brands/types, but none have stellar reviews. I'd like to know what you all use and why you like or dislike it. I'm thinking I'll be going with a 3 gallon, and I'm not particular if it's plastic or metal.

Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    None get stellar reviews because there's a downside to all of them.
    I would go with plastic because if you add apple cider vinegar it will eat up the metal.
    3 gallon is a good choice because you won't have to fill so often.
    Get one that hangs so you can put it high enough cause chickens love to poop in their water. The lip should be at back height.
    Other options are nipple waterers and drinking cups with a lever the chickens push to get water.
    They're great for clean water but chickens don't always get the hang of it.

3. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Five gallon buckets and nipples. Counts are horrible and you will hate them. Nipples are what we use now. We started with founts. The bucket is cheap or already in the closet, nipples are two bucks each and a million times less hassle. Easy to fill, easy to clean, easy to keep water clean, easy for the chicks to get water, Easy to heat in the winter, all around better system.

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    In our cock pens we use 1 gallon coffee cans (plastic): with our hens we cut 30 gallon plastic drums down to size where they hold around 6 gallons.

Just letting you know that you don't have to spend any money and can recycle what you have.

5. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    I have a few plastic ones. They are the heated type that have thermostats to keep them from freezing in the winter but don't use electricity unless needed. Must be kept inside out of the wind. Clean easily but are not easy to fill. Sometimes splash myself when done filling. Still the least hassle for me year round. Mine made by farm innovations out of indiana (made in china).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    With 4 hens, IMO, the plastic ones would be fine.
    We started with these, placed them on bricks as the
    birds got bigger. We have one in the coop, and one
    in the run, which sits on a concrete block. Works for
    us. Good Luck!

7. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

All of my birds when given the choice will always go to plastic or metal. I tried the fortex rubber ones and they hate them!

8. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Quote:What are counts and founts?

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    One thing I would think about is is you go with the metal type waterers, you probably will be cleaning the drinking area sooner than the water is gone. The chickens have a tendency to get their mouth full then take a drink. That puts feed in the water. Same with dirt. I find I clean mine every day. Although I have a larger water container, I only put in a gal cuz I know I'll be cleaning it tomorrow.[​IMG]

10. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Quote:What are counts and founts?

Typos

Should Read Founts.

Thats what the syphon type waterers are called. Poultry Founts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by