Looking into ordering female chicks from hatchery; need advice

I really like Papas Poultry this year. Smaller, quality breeder and you will get better than hatchery quality. Jeff has sexed cuckoo Marans available a lot sooner than most hatcheries. My Marans have been egg laying machines. My last order of orpingtons from him were beautiful and very healthy.

BLK AUS which is the record holder for continuous egg laying, 364 out 0f 365 days.

One particular Black Australorp hen did that back in the 1920s, which was a record at the time.

Some chickens have laid more than that since.

For example:
The highest authenticated rate of egg-laying is 371 in 364 days, laid by a White Leghorn (No. 2988) in an official test conducted by Prof. Harold V. Biellier ending on 29 August 1979 at the College of Agriculture, University of Missouri, USA.
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/70781-most-prolific-chicken

Black Australorps definitely are nice chickens, but by now there are some other kinds that lay just as well as they do.

My advice to you would be to try a bunch of different breeds. This way, they will take a fall/winter break at different times, and you can see which breed you like best for your climate and personality. Mt Healthy has about 10-12 breeds still available for June orders, with a minimum of 3 with a $30 small order fee, but 10 is just a small order fee of $15. I would definitely try Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons, Marans, Australorp, and they have Easter Egger (Americana), and Olive Egger if you like the feather variety of mixes and colorful eggs. Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock, Australorp, Orpington, Wyandotte, Sussex, should be good with any of those.
this was my list except for the sussex. i got dominiques instead. i ordered mine from ideal in january and received them on time in march , all alive and healthy. out of 25 i believe 2 or 3 might be cockerels. plan on selling 13 at 6 weeks and keeping 12 until fall. will process any roosters and keep 6 hens. 1 of each breed. will sell any extra hens. the 13 i sell will pay for my order.

I'm gonna say White Leghorn. Any feedstore who is selling chicks should get some of these at some point, so odds are good you'll be able to obtain some locally in the near term. They're optimized for production for the first two years, but many are bred for optimum egg quality and live and lay longer than that. They're usually flighty as anything, but that's good if they free range, so they'll avoid predators. Few birds can touch the white leghorn for rate of lay, feed conversion, and predator avoidance. Different sources have different strains.

I haven't heard of them having reproductive issues like the red sexlinks and other production hens do, but maybe I just haven't heard. I've got several of these I'm raising this season.

Hello everyone :frow

I ended up going for some Barrred Rocks' from Cackle Hatchery.
As someone had previously noted; not many options this time of year, and the Barred Rocks were the only ones available.

I am scheduled to receive them some time in June.

Thanks to SueT for the direct link to Cackle :thumbsup

I have a spare chicken run in the backyard with their names on it; and the heat lamp just needs the dust blown off of it, feeders ready for another round of chicks.

First time raising pure breeds " Oooo la la " how fancy.:D

I did do some research on the Barred Rocks and yea, they should work out just fine.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in.

I'll throw some pics up when they role on in :jumpy

As someone had previously noted; not many options this time of year, and the Barred Rocks were the only ones available.

I have a spare chicken run in the backyard with their names on it; and the heat lamp just needs the dust blown off of it, feeders ready for another round of chicks.

I did do some research on the Barred Rocks and yea, they should work out just fine.

Congrats! I think you'll love the Barred Rocks. :) They are spunky and quite hilarious in my experience, but they are also a very practical chicken, being very hardy and a good layer. And those feathers are simply beautiful! Just an all-around great bird. Please do update us with pictures. :)

That’s a wonderful breed to be stuck with! My favorite of all time!
Congrats! I think you'll love the Barred Rocks. :) They are spunky and quite hilarious in my experience, but they are also a very practical chicken, being very hardy and a good layer. And those feathers are simply beautiful! Just an all-around great bird. Please do update us with pictures. :)
Agree! 😊

Back
Top Bottom