Looking into ordering female chicks from hatchery; need advice

Apr 19, 2020
Hello, :D

I'm looking into buying young female hens from a hatchery.
I've incubated successfully 3 times before.
But it is really difficult to re-home the roosters.
I am not zoned for them.
I freaking like how cool the barn-yard mix ones look.
Always unique creatures, no two are ever alike.
Maybe one day I can move to an area with that kind of zoning.

So I thought I would give buying from a hatchery a try.

I mainly want my hens for the eggs, not the meat.

So; what breed has the best combination of :
1. A good size egg
2. Lays for a good amount of years
3. Lays consistently

I look forward to your suggestions, thanks :thumbsup

A not so popular heritage type bird will fit your needs more than a new production breed, especially in a hatchery with high quality stock vs typical low grade hatchery stock, will also help.
I like my Mt. Healthy, McMurray or Cacklehatchery birds but pretty much any hatchery is going to be sold out until autumn.

Sexlinks are great layers, but obviously don't have the extended life span. My EEs, Lavender Orpingtons and Jersey Giants have been surprisingly consistent layers :)

A not so popular heritage type bird will fit your needs more than a new production breed, especially in a hatchery with high quality stock vs typical low grade hatchery stock, will also help.
I like my Mt. Healthy, McMurray or Cacklehatchery birds but pretty much any hatchery is going to be sold out until autumn.
Just an FYI: I was looking to add to my flock with female chicks. There were some available at Chickens for Backyards and Cackle, but not until late summer or fall. I submitted my email to be notified if Dominique bantams became available. One hour later I got an email from Cackle stating that they would have a hatch this week! I placed an order for 5 females, they ship tomorrow. :fl

@Guy with a Rooster, don't give up.

Just an FYI: I was looking to add to my flock with female chicks. There were some available at Chickens for Backyards and Cackle, but not until late summer or fall. I submitted my email to be notified if Dominique bantams became available. One hour later I got an email from Cackle stating that they would have a hatch this week! I placed an order for 5 females, they ship tomorrow. :fl

I had a similar experience with Ideal Poultry some years ago, although in my case I wanted a few each of several breeds. I placed a "wait list" request for each one, received a phone call (might have take a few days for that to happen), and was able to get my chicks much sooner than the dates listed on the website. It's been long enough that I no longer remember all the details.

Do a search in your state for Hatcheries. We lucked out and were able to take a ride and picked up some beautiful BLK AUS which is the record holder for continuous egg laying, 364 out 0f 365 days. We've had Barred, Buff Rocks and RIRs that were all prolific layers yr round. Have used Murry McMurray in the past and had good results losing only one chick in shipping from Iowa to NJ with all others surviving.

Back
Top Bottom