Looking to add a couple of heritage chickens to the flock

Thank you so much for the information! Yes, I'm certain that mine came from a hatchery...I bought them from a local feed store and he probably gets them from Murry McMurray. I'm sincerely interested in the black English Orpingtons.

Quote:
Yes I know Bob and I have been to his house and bought from him many and he is a very nice fellow to work with and he does sex and ship his dayold Dominiiques and RIRs, though one correction though is that his RIRs, unless he has recently gotten heritage ones, are not the real RIRs but the hatchery type Production Reds but they are still great layers of nice dark eggs. And he Dominiques are really big and good looking birds birds but heritage Doms tend to be abit smaller. My aunt has the last ones I got from him but from the foxes she only has one Dom roo and a RIR hen left and she wants me to get them back tomorrow before they get caught too. When I get them I'll post pics of them or you can PM me to remind me if you would like to see the pics. But if you are wanting good layers his birds would be a great way to go but remember there is a difference in Hatchery birds and Heritage birds. If you want and actual Heritage breed you need to get them from a breeder who breeds towards the standard.

If you are only adding two birds and don't intend to breed them, then may I ask why you desire heritage or rare breeds of fowl?

Here's why I ask the question.

Our true heritage breeds are quite rare. By giving up anything less than a cull to a non-breeder we are losing the opportunity to have that bird in our gene pool. Personally, I don't sell or give birds to folks who are not breeders if I can help (except culls).

I'm not trying to be ugly. But with the thousands upon thousands of chicken keepers out there who now want to get into the whole heritage and rare breed frenzy, it is making it very difficult on those of whose who are trying to maintain and improve the breeds.

Quote:
Yes I know Bob and I have been to his house and bought from him many and he is a very nice fellow to work with and he does sex and ship his dayold Dominiiques and RIRs, though one correction though is that his RIRs, unless he has recently gotten heritage ones, are not the real RIRs but the hatchery type Production Reds but they are still great layers of nice dark eggs. And he Dominiques are really big and good looking birds birds but heritage Doms tend to be abit smaller. My aunt has the last ones I got from him but from the foxes she only has one Dom roo and a RIR hen left and she wants me to get them back tomorrow before they get caught too. When I get them I'll post pics of them or you can PM me to remind me if you would like to see the pics. But if you are wanting good layers his birds would be a great way to go but remember there is a difference in Hatchery birds and Heritage birds. If you want and actual Heritage breed you need to get them from a breeder who breeds towards the standard.

Clint,
The one thing I dislike is if you look at his flyer at http://www.featheredfamilies.com/uploads/newsletter/C8vnE2OiKphpgrq551.pdf and look at the Breeding pen of Dominiques he has a big ole Single Comb bird running in there.
That would make me think that he is not breeding to Standard.
I will amuse his R.I. Reds are production type going by the picture.

Im not knocking him or his birds, just trying to figure out his breeding program. [production or non-production]
smile.png

Chris

Quote:

Clint,
The one thing I dislike is if you look at his flyer at http://www.featheredfamilies.com/uploads/newsletter/C8vnE2OiKphpgrq551.pdf and look at the Breeding pen of Dominiques he has a big ole Single Comb bird running in there.
That would make me think that he is not breeding to Standard.
I will amuse his R.I. Reds are production type going by the picture.

Im not knocking him or his birds, just trying to figure out his breeding program. [production or non-production]
smile.png

Chris

Oh They are production birds for sure, I wasnt infering in the post the HE breeds towards the standard, just that if the OP is wanting Heritage birds that they should get them from someone who is but like another poster pointed out, there really isnt any point in going for the Heritage breeds if you just want 2-3 birds and arent going to breed them.

But yeah I've saw that single combed roo before too and he said he came out of the Doms and I guess the whole deal about the single combed ones helping the fertility. But yeah you can see by the number of birds and set up like that he is basicly a hatchery, but only has the Doms and Pro Reds. And having that many hens in there with several different roos isnt trying to breed to the standard either. He has about three pens like that one with doms and all three may have Doms in them. So yeah he definitly has production birds, I was just saying that for someone who is wanting production birds, but would be a great one to get them from becuase he is a very nice man to deal with and back when I just had a layer flock and was just hatching those production breeds to sale locally, he was the one I always bought from to start. Sometimes I would go buy the chicks from him to grow off and sale. And he had Barred Rocks and Buff Orps and such then, but now he just has the RIRs and Dominiques.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom