looking to buy chicken necks, Loudoun County or wester Fairfax County

DopyDgz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 29, 2013
It used to be you could buy chicken necks and backs in supermarkets for soup, but I guess they do all the meat cutting centrally now, not in the stores. Anyone out there have necks they'd like to part with? They make the best stock.

It used to be you could buy chicken necks and backs in supermarkets for soup, but I guess they do all the meat cutting centrally now, not in the stores. Anyone out there have necks they'd like to part with? They make the best stock.
I think that's what most folks do with theirs. I save the carcasses from a roasted chicken, freeze them, and when I have enough I make stock from them. It is really good, especially with celery/onions/carrots, etc cooked with them, then strained. You might want to think about that....

Last edited:
I live alone, so I don't cook much. I also prefer stock made form fresh, not pre-cooked, bones. It seems the collegen does not break down as much, stock has more body. I'm making a batch right now from thighs: I prefer wings, but they are a dollar more per pound (go figure!), and I am poor (I work in Assisted Living = vow of poverty LOL).

I live alone, so I don't cook much. I also prefer stock made form fresh, not pre-cooked, bones. It seems the collegen does not break down as much, stock has more body. I'm making a batch right now from thighs: I prefer wings, but they are a dollar more per pound (go figure!), and I am poor (I work in Assisted Living = vow of poverty LOL).
Bless your heart......I would happily give you my chicken necks........with a chicken attached to one of them! The last stock I made was from the cooked carcasses, and the broth before that was from carcasses after I had cut the meat off the bone. I canned it in the pressure cooker. The other I froze, and have already used.

Assisted living is tough, especially when some of the residents begin to decline and decisions have to be made regarding movement to an intermediate care facility, and any semblance of independence is gone.

Thanks for your reply. Fortunately, I am the Dining Room Manager, so I am not directly involved in the tough choices: all I have to do is pursuade them not to hit my servers when they deliver them a pureed meal ;-)
It is very rewarding to be able to make a real difference in the residents lives: the hardest part is the pay.

Back
Top Bottom