Looking to do 6 Test shipments

Is anyone willing to help me test the best way to package and ship eggs? All you would have to do is pay postage, which usps states is 15.50 and give me feedback in what kind of shape they arrived in.

You will receive 12 fertile eggs, all pure breeds and can be from the following.

Welsummer
Lavender Orpington
Speckled Sussex
Try as I might, I just don't have thick enough skin to ignore this. Why would I pay full price shipping for your R&D on relatively common breeds?

Try as I might, I just don't have thick enough skin to ignore this. Why would I pay full price shipping for your R&D on relatively common breeds?
clearly you wouldn't. But enough people might be interested in cheap fertile eggs so win win. Maybe joining the army would be a better decision, then you'll get told what to think and won't have to make these difficult decisions. Someone after all will possibly get some loose eggs sent in wood shavings as part of the experiment.

Why would you pay for eggs at all? After all, anything you might want will become a relatively common breed eventually. And you probably have hundreds of neighbors willing to share eggs that don't have to be shipped.

But not everyone has neighbors with chickens that close. And if someone were to ship eggs frequently it's easier to develop a documented method that minimizes breakage than it is to argue with every cheap hobbyist who wants a full refund or a new shipment if one egg gets cracked.

Yes, deathlayers or opal legbar might be more desireable right now, but why would you experiment with those? Relatively common breeds aren't readily available everywhere and provide some incentive for chicken keepers who don't have them. Even common chickens are, after all, about five bucks a piece.

It's a straight forward offer and no one is getting ripped off. You can check postage rates if you doubt. If you aren't interested, fine. But if you aren't interested, why does it bother you that other people are and why do you care what is being shipped?

Edit: although if I'd thought of this I might have used it to get rid of some goose eggs rather than letting the geese keep them.

Last edited:
I don't. I just don't think the testers should pay full price shipping for HIS R&D.
If I thought the OP were working on a new patented shipping container I'd agree. But the testers are getting something for their time and money, they're all volunteers, and since they're active on this site they clearly don't mind sharing their experiences and opinions.

Is anyone willing to help me test the best way to package and ship eggs? All you would have to do is pay postage, which usps states is 15.50 and give me feedback in what kind of shape they arrived in.

You will receive 12 fertile eggs, all pure breeds and can be from the following.

Welsummer
Lavender Orpington
Speckled Sussex

Or if you prefer a barnyard mix I can do that too, though since I normally put new roos in with the egg layers to teach them manners, they might not be as fertile as I would like as I have not been doing hatches from that pen. Plus the roosters vary, right now there is a Dark Brahma and French Black Copper Marans rooster in there, with Cinnamon Queen, Light Brahma and Delaware hens.
We just lost our beloved Speckled Sussex hen last week and my 6yo son has been saying he wants another one. His mother (me) has been wanting some Lavender Orpingtons too. I would love to try this. Is this offer still available? I’m in NJ.

Hey wolfwalker I was thinking of doing something similar... trying out shipping methods and collecting feedback. Have you gotten some results yet? Anyone candled their eggs on arrival? What would you say looks like the best method so far, and which looks worse?

Hey wolfwalker I was thinking of doing something similar... trying out shipping methods and collecting feedback. Have you gotten some results yet? Anyone candled their eggs on arrival? What would you say looks like the best method so far, and which looks worse?
It seems the eggs shipped in foam egg shippers and packed with foam inserts made it with no or hardly any damage at all. So that is the route I will be going.

I know this is an older thread, but I'm curious....what other methods did you try? Also, do you have photos of the foam egg shippers you use? I know there's a few different kinds out there....

Welsummer
Lavender Orpington
Speckled Sussex

Or if you prefer a barnyard mix I can do that too, though since I normally put new roos in with the egg layers to teach them manners, they might not be as fertile as I would like as I have not been doing hatches from that pen. Plus the roosters vary, right now there is a Dark Brahma and French Black Copper Marans rooster in there, with Cinnamon Queen, Light Brahma and Delaware hens.
Pennsylvania here…I will be a tester!

Back
Top Bottom