Looking to learn....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cariboujaguar, Feb 14, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    As a child I had 24 barred rock chickens and thta is my experience with poultry LOL I cleaned their pen, we raised them from babies, they would sit on our laps and come running when called, we fed them oyster shells, chicken feed and fresh water then they were let free to roam during the day and put up at night.

We have 27 acres, half wooded half field, 2 horses, a ton of goats, 2 great pyrenese dogs so the chickens will be free range and safely guarded by the dogs, and we have 2 little girls.

So we're looking for a calm breed who prefers free range, is nice with kids, lays well through winter, is cold and damp tollerant as we live in NW Washington and the roo needs to be nice- not attack our kids... these are some of the breeds I like, any info on them or advice is much appreciated!!!

Dorking (these are rare?)
    Faverolles
    Marans (not much info on them...)
    Orpington
    Plymouth Rock
    Silkie
    Welsumer

all of these were described as friendly and cold resistant... any others you'd suggest? any advice or info on these? thanks!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Dorking (these are rare?)

I believe these are rare... and also one of the oldest breeds. Hopefully someone will chime in [​IMG]

Faverolles

I only had one for a short time... was skitish but cute as could be and very sweet natured. Many people like them [​IMG]

Marans (not much info on them...)

Lay a nice dark egg. Harder to come by good quality lines, all though you will have an easier time finding good Cuckoo Marans as opposed to Black Coppers etc.

Orpington

A FAVORITE around here and people swear by them... I hope to add some to my flock sometime this year or next for sure! [​IMG]

Plymouth Rock

Very popular as well and a breed that everyone recognizes.

Silkie

Mostly ornamental I would say... they will steal your soul LOL.... too cute to resist! [​IMG] You almost have to have at least a few... [​IMG]

Welsumer

Lays a nice dark egg

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Your best bet is to search through people's posts here to learn more on the breeds you have listed and also to google their breed club sites [​IMG]

From everything I have heard folks say.... I would think that you'd be very happy with some Orpingtons [​IMG]

3. mydaughterloveschickens

mydaughterloveschickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Albany, Oregon
    in rainy nw oregon we have bantam cochins. i have a six yr old girl(the chickens are really hers) and a 9 mnth boy. my daughter takes them down her slide and on the swing and hand feeds them. they actually come to her like little cats! and they will roam during the day and always be back right before dusk to perch. they're the best brooders too. and so quiet our neighbors love them too. even our roo.[​IMG]

we do lamp them in really cold eves, helps to keep up eggs too. not big eggs though. cute and tiny

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  4. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    It sounds like we should get a few bantams for our little girl... there are some adorable bantam breeds I've seen! are all bantams friendly as a rule, or just certain breeds?

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    It can vary by breed and by individual bird. If you read through posts here you will get an idea for some favorite breeds. I really like my Mille Fleur d'Uccle and the kids adore the Silkies and Showgirls.

I think it is mostly the amount of time you put into them and the quality of treats you bring them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by