Looking to raise Muscovy fowl

Kelleybee

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2021
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I’ve never raised chickens and, after researching, have decided they will not be a good fit for us. Instead, I am seriously looking at Muscovy fowl as an excellent fit for our situation.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? None

(3) What breeds do you have? Na

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? NZ

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I raise meat rabbits and I am an avid gardener in addition to being an artist in my spare time.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have an Etsy store where I sell roots, tubers, bulbs and bare-root plants, as well as where some of my art is listed for sale. I have a wee 5 pound Maltese as a house pet. we have 6 outdoor breeder rabbits. Hubby and I have raised 6 children (4 were adopted) and we currently have 1 grandchild, hoping to have more one day. We are new to seriously raising our own food. In the past my veggie gardens were just a hobby. After 2020, veggie gardening and meat raising have become a priority, as I think it is time to be less dependent and more self-sufficient. We have a little over 1 acre and live in a culdesac neighborhoo, so noisy chickens are out, although one of our neighbors are raising chickens, I felt it best not to go that route. Rabbits are quiet and clean. From what I am reading about, Muscovy fowl are quiet and do not need a pond an are relatively clean as compared to mallard derived ducks, and I love that they will even catch a mouse or two.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D. It pops up in search results when I research Muscovy fowl.

Welcome to byc! I started my mucovy flock because my neighbors' four baby muscovys came to my property and didnt want to leave, so i bought them from her. Then i bought a male and had a pair, and from there have had several broods with no deaths or illness. I dont want to say its easy, but its not hard, they have been very hardy and adaptable. I do like their personalitys too.
Hope you enjoy your muscovys.

Back
Top Bottom