Loose bloody poop.

Gundog75

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 28, 2013
I have 5 three month old hens. They have been outside for three weeks or so.I had switched thewm to layer feed at around eight weeks. When they first went out I noticed some loose stools..nothing in the "abnormal poop" spectrum..but a lot of loose stool. I mentioned this to the person I had been dealing with at my local feed store ..who seemed to know what she was talking about..and she suggested that maybe another run of medicated starter might help the transition outside go smoother. So I did that..and woke up today to my California Grey having a loose bloody stool. I went back to the same feed store..and a different person told me the bloody stool was probably caused by the medicated starter reeking havoc in her intestines and suggested an immediate return to layer feed and give them all electrolytes for a week. This sounds reasonable and makes some sense..and she didn't believe that it was cocci because of their age and being fed starter. Which of course I would like to believe that it's not as well. So I took her advice. But I'm learning that chicken advice is like golf swing advice..everyone seems to have a different method. So if any one has any insight into this I would love it. The girls look great and are acting completely normal. Just the bloody stool is concerning. I really don't want to lose any. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I need to note that they had switched to layer at one point and I switched them back to medicated starter.

Medicated started will not "wreak havoc" with their intestines (but the cocci protozoa will!) and they are too young to be eating layer feed. They don't need all that extra calcium when they are not yet laying. Advice from feed store worker's must always be taken with a grain, or many grains, of salt!

Since they are fairly new to be outside they may well have coccidiosis. It can be a fast killer and what you would be very, very wise to do is treat them, immediately, with a round of Corid. You'll find it at most feed stores, liquid or powder, often in the cattle dept. as it is labeled for calves. Corid contains the same medication that medicated feed does, just at a level that will actually do some good. Medicated feed will not cure a case of coccidiosis. Even chicks fed medicated feed can and often do come down with coccidiosis, it's value is very debatable.

So, I would get the Corid asap and treat them all for 5 to 7 days. Dose for the powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water, make it up fresh every day. Dose for the liquid is 9.5 ml per gallon, same directions as above. Run the full course even after you see improvement. This will stop the cocci overgrowth and let the hens develop their own immunity to it.

Last edited:
The active ingredient you want is amprolium and it's sold as 9.6% liquid and 20% powder under the brand names Corid and Amprol.

-Kathy

Bloody poop is usually cause by like internal bleeding and stuff like that, what you said. So good luck. hope she gets better

I appreciate all the advice. I started the Corid. Hopefully I caught it in time. Oddly I haven't noticed anymore bloody stool since this morning. I'm not sure if cocci is an every poop thing..or just sometimes.

Quote:
Information regarding Coccidiosis is correct,medicate with Corid,chickens will be fine,do not give any vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after treatment is complete. Always be on the watch and know the symptoms for Cocci,there are 9 strains so an overload can happen at any time. Cocci can kill very fast. Regards to feed,there is a feed called Grower Feed(in Canada it is called 15% pullet developer crumbles) designed for young pullets between ages of 8-18 weeks,after 18 weeks they would go on layer feed.

Sounds like cocci to me. Starter will NOT hurt them. I've fed my pullets and cockerels starter at 3 months and they were fine. ;)
No, but lay pellets and lay crumbles can, they have too much calcium for chicks, but not sure what the amount is supposed to be and for how long they need the starter. I do know that calcium greater than 3% can cause visceral gout in adult birds.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom