Loose spur

Lonnie33

Chirping
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
My Buff Orpington hen has large spurs, approx 4cm.

She was limping today and I noticed that one of the spurs is suddenly flexible, I can move it around quite freely as if it is no longer attached on the inside (outer skin is still attached as normal and there is no sign of injury, blood etc). The other spur is normal.

I can only guess the spur has somehow been snapped on the inside where the hard bit joins the leg, perhaps by jumping off the perch.

Wondering if anyone has come across this and has advice for treatment, or if I should just wait and see? I think the bird is in pain unfortunately.

My Buff Orpington hen has large spurs, approx 4cm.

She was limping today and I noticed that one of the spurs is suddenly flexible, I can move it around quite freely as if it is no longer attached on the inside (outer skin is still attached as normal and there is no sign of injury, blood etc). The other spur is normal.

I can only guess the spur has somehow been snapped on the inside where the hard bit joins the leg, perhaps by jumping off the perch.

Wondering if anyone has come across this and has advice for treatment, or if I should just wait and see? I think the bird is in pain unfortunately.
Photos would be helpful.

Spurs have an outer sheath, is this what's loose?

It would take a lot of force to actually break/snap the spur where it joins the leg. Is there bleeding or any indication of a bruising on the leg?

Pictures?
Sorry, just took some photos this morning. There’s no sign of trauma around the spur but I can move it around 360 with my fingers, whereas the other spur is normal- firmly attached. Can’t think what might have happened to cause this.

This morning she didn’t come outside and is limping badly. I have given a small dose of aspirin as she seems to be in pain.

Sorry, just took some photos this morning. There’s no sign of trauma around the spur but I can move it around 360 with my fingers, whereas the other spur is normal- firmly attached. Can’t think what might have happened to cause this.

This morning she didn’t come outside and is limping badly. I have given a small dose of aspirin as she seems to be in pain.
Good you got pictures. Can you post them?

As long as there's no bleeding aspirin can be given.

Photos would be helpful.

Spurs have an outer sheath, is this what's loose?

It would take a lot of force to actually break/snap the spur where it joins the leg. Is there bleeding or any indication of a bruising on the leg?
Thanks for your reply. There doesn’t seem to be any bruising on the leg itself or any injury around the spur. I’ve popped some pictures up. Hmm I can’t think what might have caused the injury, something with that much force, it has me stumped.

Sorry, thought I had uploaded them, trying again…

Sorry, trying to upload pics again
0FBDF7E3-A998-4B72-93C9-6BFE7B441264.jpeg
E8373773-9349-4E4F-BED5-FBECD2BACD52.jpeg

I think the quick has been detached internally.

I see two options. #1. Wrap it, so it's back in position, to heal.

#2. Remove the entire thing. Maybe some pain, & some bleeding, but she'll have relief the day after.
Thanks so much for your advice. If I removed it entirely, is there an alternative to aspirin I could use for pain relief?

Back
Top Bottom