Loosing chicks. Need advise please

Annawhi

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2023
Hi all! New here but I need opinions. I got a variety of baby chicks last week. I have now lost 2 of them. I noticed that 3 of them are not growing very much and they are not feathering like the others as well. They eat, drink and play fine it seems. No pasty butt. But 2 of those 3 have died. Out of the 2 that passed, one you could see it comming and we tried everything before she died. The other was unexpected as she was running, playing, eating and drinking. Went to bed with all the others and was dead this morning. Now the 3rd is the only silkie in the bunch, runs, plays, eats and drinks, but very tiny. (I ordered more silkies but due to hatching issues the hatchery only sent the 1) I use a heat plate and the ambient temp in the room ranges between 69 and 80 degrees depending on the time of day/night. It will be hotter next week. Is it too hot in the room? Is it failure to thrive? 2 out of 11 seems a lot to loose.

Last edited:
First of all welcome to BYC :welcome
Second, Im really sorry to hear of your lose in chicks. This might be a stupid question but I'm from Italy and we use Celsius, I'm just wondering Are you referring to C ot F. Also I'd suggest you get some medicated feed and imo I think for what ever reason the hatchery chicks tend to be weaker and have a higher mortality rate half the time. You might want to ask the experts like @TwoCrows or @gimmie birdies and @swampfox440

First of all welcome to BYC :welcome
Second, Im really sorry to hear of your lose in chicks. This might be a stupid question but I'm from Italy and we use Celsius, I'm just wondering Are you referring to C ot F. Also I'd suggest you get some medicated feed and imo I think for what ever reason the hatchery chicks tend to be weaker and have a higher mortality rate half the time. You might want to ask the experts like @TwoCrows or @gimmie birdies and @swampfox440
Thank you for the welcome! In the US, so it is F. They are on 20% chick starter/grower. Had medicated the 1st week. Should I put them back on medicated? Just switched them today to non-medicated. Thank you for the help.

In the US, so it is F. They are on 20% chick starter/grower. Had medicated the 1st week. Should I put them back on medicated? Just switched them today to non-medicated. Thank you for the help.
Like I said it's a hatchery thing sometimes or maybe it's just the chicks. I'd say the room might be a tad on the warm side, but I do think you might need to put them back on medicated feed for a bit longer. Hope they all make it!!!

Are you giving them electrolytes. It's good to give them a healthy start, you can get it at tractor supply. It is common to have a few that don't make it. I bought 10 ducklings in the spring and lost two due to unknown causes. Now the other eight are grown and fully feathered.

I keep the floor of my brooders 95 the first week and lower it 5 degrees a week.I also keep them in roomy brooders so they can get away from the heat.I only use ceramic heaters and light bulbs.Never had any issue with hatchery chicks living but I keep mine inside for a minimum of 1-2 weeks

Out of 15 chicks my 2 cockerels were weaker and less active than all the others for at least 2 weeks .I wouldn't have been surprised had they died but they didn't. They're all 10 weeks old and thriving now.Never lost a hatchery chick.

Are you giving them electrolytes. It's good to give them a healthy start, you can get it at tractor supply. It is common to have a few that don't make it. I bought 10 ducklings in the spring and lost two due to unknown causes. Now the other eight are grown and fully feathered.
Yes, was giving them save a chick electrolytes. After reading I really think it's failure to thrive. They have plenty of food in 2 feeders, 2 waterers, they are in my spare bedroom so no drafts and they are in a tent brooder now. Tons of space and the ones that are doing good are doing great! I have raised ducks and chicks before. This is the 1st time loosing any.

Out of 15 chicks my 2 cockerels were weaker and less active than all the others for at least 2 weeks .I wouldn't have been surprised had they died but they didn't. They're all 10 weeks old and thriving now.Never lost a hatchery chick.
I have never lost any before this. I haven't raised a lot but I raised a small flock of chicks and a few ducks before. We moved to another state and started over. This is my 1st loss. I was doing everything like before and lost them. Maybe just bad luck this time.

I keep the floor of my brooders 95 the first week and lower it 5 degrees a week.I also keep them in roomy brooders so they can get away from the heat.I only use ceramic heaters and light bulbs.Never had any issue with hatchery chicks living but I keep mine inside for a minimum of 1-2

Back
Top Bottom