Loosing one chick per day

BillinPA

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
Greencastle PA
So far I've lost 3 in the past 3 days.

The chicks effected are my rhode island reds. Started with 4 now down to one. They are approx 9weeks old. So far the first was a unknown, the wife and I were camping thought maybe it didn't go not the coop t night and got too cold. Yesterday I noticed one of the others ctin very lethargic. Didn't want to eat and didn't budge when I reached fir her. They usually t least flinch a lil. Got her out and put her down she just sat right there aNd didn't move. It was getting dark I really didn't think much of it. Went out this morning and gone. In the exact spot I sat her down. I noticed this morning that another was starting to act the same. Ran home from work at lunch and she was gone. Now my last is Starting to get lethargic. Im worried I'm going to find her expired in the morning.

They are housed with 6 wyandottes that are the same age and 6 EEs that are about 14 weeks. Large 10 x 20 run and 6x8 coop. Large sized pine shaving bedding. Food is clean and dry.

They only seem to get lethargic and not really eating, drinking for about a day before they are gone. I looked m over really well and didn't see any injuries t all.

I haven't been able to isolate poop to inspect.

All 3 had empty crops and were pretty skinny for their size, the breat bone was very easy to feel.

I'm at a lose but I'm kinda thinking they might have worms.

I'm really worried it's going to spread thru the entire flock.

So far I've lost 3 in the past 3 days.
The chicks effected are my rhode island reds. Started with 4 now down to one. They are approx 9weeks old. So far the first was a unknown, the wife and I were camping thought maybe it didn't go not the coop t night and got too cold. Yesterday I noticed one of the others ctin very lethargic. Didn't want to eat and didn't budge when I reached fir her. They usually t least flinch a lil. Got her out and put her down she just sat right there aNd didn't move. It was getting dark I really didn't think much of it. Went out this morning and gone. In the exact spot I sat her down. I noticed this morning that another was starting to act the same. Ran home from work at lunch and she was gone. Now my last is Starting to get lethargic. Im worried I'm going to find her expired in the morning.
They are housed with 6 wyandottes that are the same age and 6 EEs that are about 14 weeks. Large 10 x 20 run and 6x8 coop. Large sized pine shaving bedding. Food is clean and dry.
They only seem to get lethargic and not really eating, drinking for about a day before they are gone. I looked m over really well and didn't see any injuries t all.
I haven't been able to isolate poop to inspect.
All 3 had empty crops and were pretty skinny for their size, the breat bone was very easy to feel.
I'm at a lose but I'm kinda thinking they might have worms.
I'm really worried it's going to spread thru the entire flock.
Based on the age and rapidity of the deaths, could be worms but I am thinking cocci. Are they on medicated feed? With cocci they often stand around looking puffy and miserable - you can also see bloody poo but that's a later sign. They can still have a problem even without it.

Last edited:
They have been one medicated feed since day one. No bloody poo at all. For the most part it's been firm and brown. It was thursday the last I spent some time with them. Not the c word. :(

Well looks like it a case of cocci. Brought them in a while ago and kept a watch. One of the seemingly healthy slw. Pooped blood. Crap!

I'm headed there right now. Going into work late. Had 2 wyans acting funny this morning., they did all eat a little egg last night that seemed to give then a lil energy and they made it thru the night.

2 are not doing well at all. :(

Back
Top Bottom