Lose the heat lamp?

SparkleMom

Hatching
Feb 3, 2020
Hi all,
I have 8 baby chicks roughly hatched around the 11th....? Shipped to me on the 13th of April. I’ve had them in a room sun facing with a heat lamp. I can’t seem to get a really accurate temp read but it has to be minimum 80’s mid morning and 90’s from the sun. Under the lamp it has been 90 so I’ve raised the lamp higher. Can I try and turn the heat off? We keep our house at roughly 74 because of other animals as well right now. Hoping to finish our new coop this week as well.

Attachments

• FBAE6CB8-6426-4522-AFD0-8624029DAE0D.jpeg
    FBAE6CB8-6426-4522-AFD0-8624029DAE0D.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 9
Hi all,
I have 8 baby chicks roughly hatched around the 11th....? Shipped to me on the 13th of April. I’ve had them in a room sun facing with a heat lamp. I can’t seem to get a really accurate temp read but it has to be minimum 80’s mid morning and 90’s from the sun. Under the lamp it has been 90 so I’ve raised the lamp higher. Can I try and turn the heat off? We keep our house at roughly 74 because of other animals as well right now. Hoping to finish our new coop this week as well.
I would have it on at least at night, when it's usually at least slightly cooler. Turn of the lamp, then check on them every couple of minutes. If they seem distressed, turn it back on. If, after a half hour they're still happy, you should be fine. Note that this is only for indoors, the temperature outside ranges widely throughout the day.

I would have it on at least at night, when it's usually at least slightly cooler. Turn of the lamp, then check on them every couple of minutes. If they seem distressed, turn it back on. If, after a half hour they're still happy, you should be fine. Note that this is only for indoors, the temperature outside ranges widely throughout the day.

Thank you. I noticed that they hang out away from the lamp mostly during the day for sure so I just turned it off and I will keep checking on them. This has been a fun journey for sure

I can’t seem to get a really accurate temp read but it has to be minimum 80’s mid morning and 90’s from the sun. Under the lamp it has been 90 so I’ve raised the lamp higher.
Your Chicks are 3 weeks old. So yours are past the most vulnerable stage. You could shut off the heat and see how they respond.
My Chicks are 4 days old, so I have to be more careful. This is how I do it.
Do they stay away from the heat lamp?
If they go under the lamp without quickly retreating, it's probably good.
If they stay under it most of the time, it's probably to cold.
I keep a thermometer attached to the wall with Velcro under the lamp.
20200502_063706_resized.jpg

I use as guidance, but rely on their behavior.
Chirping loudly under lamp, Cold. 20200430_144517_resized.jpg
Just right. 20200430_145525_resized.jpg .
I use a plug-in dimmer cord to control temperature, so I don't have to raise and lower light fixture, between daytime and nighttime. 20181125_080904.jpg . My brooder is in an unheated porch. GC

Last edited:
Your Chicks are 3 weeks old. So yours are past the most vulnerable stage. You could shut off the heat and see how they respond.
My Chicks are 4 days old, so I have to be more careful. This is how I do it.
Do they stay away from the heat lamp?
If they go under the lamp without quickly retreating, it's probably good.
If they stay under it most of the time, it's probably to cold.
I keep a thermometer attached to the wall with Velcro under the lamp.View attachment 2119242
I use as guidance, but rely on their behavior.
Chirping loudly under lamp, Cold.View attachment 2119243
Just right.View attachment 2119246.
I use a plug-in dimmer cord to control temperature, so I don't have to raise and lower light fixture, between daytime and nighttime.View attachment 2119254. My brooder is in an unheated porch. GC
Thank you so much! So far so good. They are kinda hanging all over the place. They do stay together but they don’t seem cold and have been steering away from the heat for several days now.

Thank you so much! So far so good. They are kinda hanging all over the place. They do stay together but they don’t seem cold and have been steering away from the heat for several days now.
If they're staying away from the lamp they're probably fine. Just keep monitoring.

Back
Top Bottom