Losing Chickens to some sickness- help

mrwoodboat

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
So have had a closed flock for a few yrs- recently our state had a 1000 yr flood which came to within 50 ft of my coops- since that happened, I have been losing young birds (about 1 a week)- the symptoms are the bird affected will become somewhat lethargic, it's eyes will swell shut with a hard growth on the outside and after a couple weeks it will die- after the 1st bird passed, I cleaned the coops out (dug them down about 4" and limed it well) and have removed any bird showing signs of distress. I have tried treating with Tylan 50 but not sure I have the dosage correct. Out of the 4 birds that have passed, only 1 has had any discharge from its nostrils or mouth.

Any help or opinions is greatly appreciated- I am hoping I do not have to cull the entire flock and start over-

Sorry for your losses. It could be a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza, but I would contact your state vet for some information. The next time you lose one, I would send the refrigerated body in for a necropsy. There could be more than one disease affecting them.

Back
Top Bottom