Losing feathers and stopped laying

shannaben8

Chirping
Sep 24, 2016
My head hen oreo has been losimg her feathers around her neck and vent. She has not laid for 3 days now, she lays every day. She looks skinny, but it may be the feathers. I switched her back to grower food. I would think molting but her skim is smooth, there are no feather sticks left behind like a normal molt. Could this still be? I'm nervous. No mites or lice, checked her all over and nothing. She still acts normal.

Could be from another bird feather picking her. Those are the usual sites other bird pluck them from. I would spend some time quietly observing them to see if you see anything.

If you think another hen is pecking her feathers put your birds on a good probiotic . At least one study has shown that a good probiotic will help prevent feather pecking by other birds. if you think your bird is molting, put your bird on Nutrena Feather Fixer feed. Good for birds over 16 weeks old.
it's wonderful . it will get them through the molt . they will grow beautiful new feathers and may even lay through the molt. I used it on my birds on the advice of another BYCer and was astonished how well the birds came through the molt. Beautiful , beautiful new plumage?
Best ,
Karen

Last edited:
Ok. She is my head hen, I only have one other full grown with her and them a few newbie teens that she bosses around. I can't imagine my other full.grown would peck her, she never ever has. Is there a chance molting could result in smooth skin? I don't know what else it could be.

Generally no. Some hens can go through neck molts in the spring, so that's a possibility, but they usually just molt around the head and neck, I haven't seen that the bottom is involved. There is some bald areas on a chickens bottom and directly around the vent so maybe that's what you are seeing there.

Back
Top Bottom