Losing feathers..not getting better

Silkie2

Songster
Mar 1, 2016
Southern NH
IMG_4545.JPG
So my silkie has been losing her feathers on her head and neck, to the point wher you can see large patches of her blue skin. No scabs or scratches or anything like that. I'm not sure if she's molting because this has been going on for a couple months now. I decided to isolate her in the stall and wait till her feathers grew back....IT ONLY GOT WORSE...not too bad but enough to know that it had not been getting better. She has started losing some on her back, and her stomach is almost completely bare! I don't see any mites or anything so I'm completely clueless as to WHAT IS GOING ON!?..

We had two girls different breeds that did turn things around until we gave them feather fixer. Also, are you sure she isn't being pecked. It seems the areas you describe could also be stress. We rescued a chicken (abandoned) who turned out to be a little bully. She started picking on those two I mentioned which raised her in the pecking order but put them into a molt.

https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/naturewise-feather-fixer-poultry-feed

ok thanks! i'll see if i can find some of that feed. she is probably at the bottom of the pecking order, but i would think by now she'd have some scabs? i isolated her in the stall but it didn't help at all.

ok thanks! i'll see if i can find some of that feed. she is probably at the bottom of the pecking order, but i would think by now she'd have some scabs? i isolated her in the stall but it didn't help at all.

I am not that experienced but they are social animals and that be adding to the stress.

i did keep my other silkie (Jade) (both have been together since i bought them as day old chicks) in the stall with her. but of course they both hate being cooped up in a stall. seems like every time i keep jade in the stall she gets a poopy butt (twix is the one losing her feathers, jade is her "sister")

My chicken has been exhibiting the exact same symptoms! I just logged on to ask about it. Like you, I don't see any mites or fleas crawling around in her feathers but she has bald patches on her neck that seem to be getting worse. I was going to try diatomaceous earth and see if I have any luck. I haven't seen her getting bullied at all so I don't think that's it. Have you found a solution yet? Does anybody else have ANY suggestions? I'm open to anything!

My chicken has been exhibiting the exact same symptoms! I just logged on to ask about it. Like you, I don't see any mites or fleas crawling around in her feathers but she has bald patches on her neck that seem to be getting worse. I was going to try diatomaceous earth and see if I have any luck. I haven't seen her getting bullied at all so I don't think that's it. Have you found a solution yet? Does anybody else have ANY suggestions? I'm open to anything!
No solution yet :( I'm gonna look for the feather fixer pellets that @barnyNYCyndi mentioned. But let me know if you find something that works also!

Back
Top Bottom