Losing feathers

JoyAnna

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
Maple Falls, Washington
My four Khaki Campbells are just 10 weeks old, all beautifully feathered out. The last few days, I'm seeing lots of their small feathers flying off and occasionally, one even takes a feather off another. Since I'm new to all this (and loving every minute of it!), I searched the old posts in the forum and found a few mentioning 'juvenile moulting'. Is that what's going on here? I'm still watching to see if a curly tail shows up. They are really so quiet I haven't heard any voice difference. They just wonder around, dabbling in dirt or whatever with a constant chattering between them.

Yes, that sounds like juvenile moult. My two IR's are going through the same thing.

Yep! It just happened to my Campbells too! It may take a while for the feathers to grow in, so a curled tail feather may show up. My ducks voice their opinions loudly to me
roll.png
, so I noticed a voice change in a few. The females loudly protest if I upset them!

Thanks. Here I've been telling them what beautiful feathers they have, and suddenly they start floating around, and the ducks chase them down and eat them. I didn't know to expect this. I had decided they no longer needed the light at night for warmth, but if they are loosing feathers, I put it back on today. Besides, it is wet and cold out. So, how long will this take? Is it gradual with the new feathers replacing the old? Do they lose the wing feathers as well? They look so happy when they first get out of their pen and run, flapping wings. One actually got off the ground a foot or so today. Yes, I also am hearing a difference in voice. Someone is quite loud, but can't tell which one yet.

Turn the light off, once they have fully feathered (the first time) they don't need that extra heat. They are wearing down coats and can easily over heat. Just because it feels cool or cold and damp to you doesn't make it so for them. They also do NoT need heat in the wintertime (even in northern climates with snow). Molts vary in length, but new feathers are coming in as the old shed off. If none of them have a distinct loud QUACK at this age you may have all boys. Pick each up seperately and listen for whasp whasp or QUACK, they are very distinct.

Turn the light off, once they have fully feathered (the first time) they don't need that extra heat. They are wearing down coats and can easily over heat. Just because it feels cool or cold and damp to you doesn't make it so for them. They also do NoT need heat in the wintertime (even in northern climates with snow). Molts vary in length, but new feathers are coming in as the old shed off. If none of them have a distinct loud QUACK at this age you may have all boys. Pick each up seperately and listen for whasp whasp or QUACK, they are very distinct.
I would like to modify the wintertime heat idea. CelticOaksFarm gives very good advice, and speaks from experience. From what I read here, 9 times out of ten, that is the case.

At the same time, my runners apparently did not get the memo, and they do not thrive below 35 degrees F. Balanced ration, vitamins, fresh air, sunshine, clean water, fresh greens in season . . . . and a few of them shiver, hunker down, lose weight, and so on if they must sleep in below 35F temperatures. Rather than let winter cull my weaker ducks, everybody gets to sleep in a shelter that stays at 40F or above.

Amiga, could it be due to a runners slim body type? I would guess their tall slim stature would make them more likely to chill.
I think so, yes, and that first year they started laying and just kept going, going, going. When they finally took a couple of months off, body condition plumped up a bit, feathers came in magnificently. I am beginning to think that this flock needs to go through a broody phase to rest. Those that did go broody had fewer bouts of chillies, so I am pondering whether using some wooden eggs again might be a good part of our yearly cycle. We have no drake at the moment, and no plans to hatch. I love ducklings, but there are so many abandoned ducks in the world I would rather adopt rescues for now.

So far this year I have not put wooden eggs in nests, on the advice of a friend. I may go back to that practice.

…. If none of them have a distinct loud QUACK at this age you may have all boys. Pick each up seperately and listen for whasp whasp or QUACK, they are very distinct.
Oh, what an awful thought! I only wanted a couple girls for eggs, but bought four to increase my odds! I hear at least one with a loud quack, but cannot tell them apart yet. Although they are friendly with me, eating out of hand, following me around where ever I am working, coming when I call to them, they don't allow me to touch them, so picking them up would be traumatic. Guess I didn't handle them enough when they were tiny. I love them, but my sense is to let them be the wild animals they are—the two cats will sit in my lap and sleep with me.

Thanks for the advice on extra heat at night. It sounds like the down beneath the feathers remains to keep them warm. They sure love the cool, rainy days anyway!

Does anyone suggest increasing their protein while they are going through a juvenile molt? My 2 Cayugas *about 11 weeks old* are starting...and I am new to ducks - but when my chickens start molting, I give them poultry conditioner to up their protein intake.
But so glad to find out there isn't anything wrong my ducks! I was a bit worried when Jem started looking a bit rough and was dropping feathers....

Back
Top Bottom