Losing my baby chickens

Do you have photos of the chicks, their poop and where you are keeping them?
So you bought the hen along with her 4 week old chicks is that correct?
You've had them for one week?
What are you feeding the chicks?

At 4 weeks old, I would worry about them overheating - I would make sure they have plenty of space to get away from the heat lamp. They should not need much heat at all except maybe at night when the temperatures drop.

At that age, Coccidiosis is also a possibility, you don't report any symptoms, but that is something I would consider. Treatment is with Corid which can be found at most feed stores.

If you happen to lose another one, getting a necropsy/testing from your state vet would be a very good idea.
How do I bake down the corid for them

The chicks were peeping all night, were they piled up like they were chilled or were they more spread out at the edges trying to get out of the heat.
Do you have a thermometer to check the temp at the floor of the brooder where they are now?

The chicks were peeping all night, were they piled up like they were chilled or were they more spread out at the edges trying to get out of the heat.
Do you have a thermometer to check the temp at the floor of the brooder where they are now?
A couple of them were in a pile but the other three were spread out. I don't have the lamp on them anymore yes I have a thermometer in there

They have chirped all night long. A loud constant chirp

The one that I was watching this morning like that it was weak and was stumbling. It was doing a rocking motion back and forth and it's wings look droopy

How do I bake down the corid for them

A couple of them were in a pile but the other three were spread out. I don't have the lamp on them anymore yes I have a thermometer in there
Chick looks to be less than 4 weeks old to me. They still need heat.
Turn the heat lamp back on and make sure they have plenty of room to move around.
Keep the food and water on the cool side of the brooder.

Photos of the brooder would be good.

The one that is rocking, is it's butt clear of poop and pasting?
I would watch to see if it's drinking and eating.
How fresh is your chick starter - do you have the bag so you can look at the date?

Not sure about your question about the Corid?

20181031_084538.jpg 20181031_084532.jpg 20181031_084359.jpg

How warm is in your brooder?
Are you seeing them eat and drink?

The are tiny, but I would probably start them on Corid.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Watch to make sure they are drinking well and that they are not overheating.

Back
Top Bottom