Losing My Job

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
Here's what's been going on with my life since late Jan.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/639858/miscarriage-or-not

Synopsis: Husband died a year ago, began dating, got pregnant--miserable during pregnancy, very sick, had a miscarriage. Job threatened to fire me.

Well, Tues April 10th, I tried talking to my building principal about what was going on. She wasn't exactly supportive (wanted to know if I could get on any anti-depressants that could "work faster") but did encourage me to seek counseling.

So, before I could even seek counseling, she called me BACK to her office a few days later to tell me my performance hasn't improved (well duh, I had a miscarriage and I've been depressed) and I could either resign nicely or they would fire me. I was so upset that I left the office crying. This was last Tues, I had to make my decision by the following Fri (a few days ago)

Well, at least my union rep who was present managed to keep a cool head. He contacted our district union rep and let him know what was going on. Apparently, the district guy wasn't happy, marched into the principal's office told me she was offering a "devil's deal" and made her call me to give me another week to decide.

When I related my story to him, he said that because I didn't have tenure, there wasn't a whole lot he could do, but he is going to try and make sure that my health insurance lasts for the whole summer instead of until June 30th. He is also going after the principal for misconduct on several counts (gave me only a few hours notice for the "meeting", only a few days to make a decision, the anti depressant comment, the fact that she never let me give counseling a chance, the whole not being sympathetic to the fact that I've lost a husband and a child and that my evals last year were good)

So what the heck should I put in my letter of resignation that won't make me sound snarky, bitter, sarcastic or whiny?

WOW! When are things going to lighten up for you?
hugs.gif
Don't follow my advice because it is probably wrong, but I would not resign. I would force them to fire me and then consider my options. I would ask my union rep for advice and might even seek legal advice. Good luck with this situation and your recovery.
hugs.gif

No matter what, I will be able to draw SSI because of my deceased husband.

They haven't given me a lot of time to speak with an attorney (probably was done on purpose) and since my resignation is "due" Tuesday, I don't have time Monday or Tues (grad class after school Monday, professional development Tues). Maybe the union rep can buy me another week.

The plus to resignation is that it will be a face-saving measure and a poor performance won't "follow me" although where I'll get a good letter of recommendation, I have no idea.

DBF encouraged me to take a leave of absence back last Feb. when I was so sick and miserable. When I told him what was happening, he has been very supportive and told me that some time off just to stay home and "be a mom and chicken farmer" would do me some good.

I was given the option of resignation or termination. The HR person for the organization strongly promoted resignation for recs. I called a friend who is an HR consultant (independent). She said that "performance' stuff is a lot of hogwash, they just don't want to for your unemployment. The worst they can do is give only your dates of hire/leaving when asked about a rec.

Everyone gets fired at some point and employers are used to it. Keep in mind that if you voluntarily resign, you have a lot less to stand on if you decide to pursue anything with regard to them forcing you out.

Seriously, your resignation is only helping them, not you.

I was given the option of resignation or termination. The HR person for the organization strongly promoted resignation for recs. I called a friend who is an HR consultant (independent). She said that "performance' stuff is a lot of hogwash, they just don't want to for your unemployment. The worst they can do is give only your dates of hire/leaving when asked about a rec.

Everyone gets fired at some point and employers are used to it. Keep in mind that if you voluntarily resign, you have a lot less to stand on if you decide to pursue anything with regard to them forcing you out.

Again, I'm fairly certain that giving me so little time is meant to "scare me" and not give me a chance to speak with an attorney. I don't have a prep period either, so I certainly can't make any calls then, heck I don't even have a scheduled lunch hour. Part of the reason why performance hasn't been great this year.

Don't resign. Let them fire you. That way you can most likely get unemployment. If you quit, I don't think you can.

When I was fired from my job, I got unemployment benefits. You should too! Let them fire you if it comes down getting dirty! DONT resign at this point at all.

I agree with your BF, give yourself some time to unwind and a bit of "me" time! Your health needs it! And what's tops it all, all of your friends on here supports you too!

Not sure what to think of the union, I've tried the union when I got fired, got the run arounds, the people there got terminated or resigned. Makes me think the union was getting weak and no one could help me. However when the state of Illinois got the wind of it, due to being illegial to terminate and faulty training, they got scared but did nothing. My health was horrible, was pregnant and decided to let it go and inform the state that I am not interested in pursuing to get my job back due to the stress, backbiting B, and all that mess! My BF encouraged me to get a part time job at his work place for a very short time until I can not handle it anymore, standing anywhere from six to 12 hours, uneven hours took a toll on me and pregnancy.....got unemployment. The employer thought I would not get unemployment but I did. Shocked them, didn't I?

Back
Top Bottom