Losing my mind on coop/run conflicting info

I have tried several methods and a lot depends on your surrounding area and what the seasons have now evolved into. I wound up sticking with deep litter. I use hay during summer and winter and add in grass and leaves during fall and spring. I have not had any issues. I rake once a week and turn over the litter. I usually change out the litter each season.

This is good to know! I'm in southern CO which is much like northern NM in terms of things that do and don't grow as well as soil and weather. (I can't believe today's rain that came out of the south!) I like to throw what I can in the run. Perhaps I will work harder on building up something and see how it goes.
I'm actually way down south, 30 miles north of Mexico, so you should have a much easier time getting things to grow.

I also encourage native wildflowers and anything wild that doesn't misbehave (I'm looking at you, goatheads) using them after frost to help build my soil.

My goal is having the whole system be self sufficient and conserve water. It's amazing how much has changed in less than 2 years. BTW, sunflowers produce a lot of biomass and of course they're really easy to grow.

Back
Top Bottom