Losing neck feathers

Silkie2

Songster
Mar 1, 2016
Southern NH
My silkie Twix is losing some feathers near her face? It's not molting, well I don't think so because all my other hens have finished there molting awhile ago. And I don't think she's getting pecked on cause she's in a stall in the barn with her sister (her sister jade had a collapsed vent so she's keeping her company) and the stall is completely dark (to discourage jade from laying in egg) every morning I go and check on them. This time I saw that Twix is losing some feathers near her face, she also was losing some crest feathers but now I think they came back ( she doesn't have very good crest to start with )
Any idea why she's losing neck feathers?

My silkie Twix is losing some feathers near her face? It's not molting, well I don't think so because all my other hens have finished there molting awhile ago. And I don't think she's getting pecked on cause she's in a stall in the barn with her sister (her sister jade had a collapsed vent so she's keeping her company) and the stall is completely dark (to discourage jade from laying in egg) every morning I go and check on them. This time I saw that Twix is losing some feathers near her face, she also was losing some crest feathers but now I think they came back ( she doesn't have very good crest to start with )
Any idea why she's losing neck feathers?

Can you post some photos?

How long has she been in the dark with Jade?
Do you see any pin feathers - new growth?

Check her over for any signs of lice/mites. You may want to let her out a few times a day so she can dust bathe and enjoy some sunshine. I understand that she is being a companion for your other girl at the moment, but letting her out may do some good.

Watch to see if she is eating/drinking. Add some poultry vitamins to the water and give (them both) some chopped egg in addition to their normal feed for protein.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Will take some pictures later today. Just been told there's a coyote in the area so the chickens are all locked up. She was let out about 2 days ago but I do understand she will probably need to be let out soon, it's getting stormy here so there isn't much sunshine. Oh yes! When I picked her up I should've checked for mites
1f62c.png

Here's some pictures of her neck. Like I said I don't know why she would be losing them? I know it's not a lot now but if it were to get worse in the future I'd like to help her now (if that made any sense Lol)

Sorry for the messy barn background, haven't don my spring cleaning
1f609.png

Check her for lice/mites and watch to see if she is scratching those feathers off.

Is it possible that Jade may be pulling/plucking the feathers out - have you found any of the feathers lying around in the stall, if not, Jade could be eating them.

Check her for lice/mites and watch to see if she is scratching those feathers off.

Is it possible that Jade may be pulling/plucking the feathers out - have you found any of the feathers lying around in the stall, if not, Jade could be eating them.

This morning I gave jade and Twix oatmeal, eggs and some blueberries (breakfast scraps lol) then I let Twix out of the stall, since it seems sunny today.

Just checked for mites. Didn't see any.
She is taking a dirt bath in the sun right now :)
I didn't see any pin feathers either. Literally it just looks like the feathers disappeared off part of her neck, and just left the blue skin unharmed :/

Twix Still has the balding on her neck. And a little on her crest. I'd like to let her out but I feel like the chickens are gonna peck at her. (She's the smallest hen)
I gave her some scrambled eggs a couple days ago, I can give her some more today.
Still not sure what to do about her neck. Shes in the stall now.

Last edited:
Is your other silkie better? If she is you may be able to start the integration process with them together.

I can't tell you what has caused the feather loss - usually being picked out by another chicken or lice/mites is the cause. Unless the shaft has been plucked out too, feathers won't re-grow until she molts.

Back
Top Bottom