Losing scales??? Pics included

96chevy

In the Brooder
May 29, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hello! My fiances cousin moved in with us recently and brought 6 chickens with her. Before she moved out here, her ex who she was living with claimed that a coyote was killing them off since she had 14 a week before she moved... We think he was killing them... But anyway... One of her hens was limping last night and had just a little bit of swelling in its foot. Tonight it's losing scales off its foot and barely uses it!!! It looks like it has an injury at the joint above its foot. We put blu-kote on the joint and whole foot area. Does anyone have any other suggestions? My future mother in law suggested Epsom salt soaks but I don't have any and the owner isn't home right now but she has some. Any help would be great!

I would remove the metal ring around the leg due to swelling. If it was my hen I would start an antibiotic ASAP, clean the wounded joint and then put some antibiotic ointment (the one with no pain medicine in it) on it. After that I would gently wrap the leg with guaze and then with ouchless tape. I would separate her from the flock in a nice safe place with food and water. It looks so painful.

I know they say don't give aspirin but when my rooster hurt his leg and couldn't walk (he had no open wounds, just wouldn't walk on one leg), I put him in another coop for his safety and I put a baby aspirin in a grape tomato just once a day. In three days he was back to his old self. That was months ago and he's fine.

She's a vet tech so I'm sure she'll be good with cleaning it. She can probably even get some antibiotics at work. Thanks for the advice!

Hello again!!! The chicken is doing better and trying to use her injured foot. There's new scales growing. But now where the old stuff hadnt shed yet, there's a green goo oozing out if you gently squeeze it or try to peel some stuff off. We gave her antibiotics for a while. Any idea what kind or how much we should give her for this green stuff???
Any help would be appreciated!

Pour a good cup of epsom salt and fill a small bin halfway w warm water. Put the hen in and let her stand in it and a screen over top while you sit w her for a good half hour to make sure she's ok. Hopefully she'll enjoy it like mine do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom