Loss from a pair of sisters đź’” help?

JulieBeth07

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Fort Pierce, FL
Please help ...with trying to help my little Delylah.

I had a pair of new Zealand/Rex mix sisters. They were about 2 years old. We also just acquired a buck to breed them with recently that is housed separately. They haven't been formally introduced persay.

Well, the hutch latch was somehow left opened (I'm assuming children giving hay and love) and Phoenix is nowhere to be found (of course) Delylah is the more reserved of the two, so she was still by the hutch.

I've read you ideally want 2 does having their kits pretty close to the same time in case something unfortunate happens.

Well.. now what? Do I find another doe to introduce? Do I go ahead and breed her while she's on her own? Do you think she'd even be willing to breed with the loss of her sister?

Just when I thought I was ready to breed them 🤦‍♀️

I would breed the doe you have left. I do not think losing her sister would make her unwilling to breed. I would not try to introduce a new doe before breeding her.

You could house the buck in a cage next to the doe, so they can socialize through wire mesh. That makes sure neither one gets hurt, but helps avoid loneliness.

Having a second doe kindling at the same time does not guarantee good results-- they might both have problems (so having two is no help) or they might both be fine (so having two is no help either.)

Actually, I would expect more problems with two does in the same cage, and less problems if she has the cage to herself. If you really want to have another doe with her in future, let her raise a litter now and leave a daughter with her when you remove the rest of the litter.

I would breed the doe you have left. I do not think losing her sister would make her unwilling to breed. I would not try to introduce a new doe before breeding her.

You could house the buck in a cage next to the doe, so they can socialize through wire mesh. That makes sure neither one gets hurt, but helps avoid loneliness.

Having a second doe kindling at the same time does not guarantee good results-- they might both have problems (so having two is no help) or they might both be fine (so having two is no help either.)

Actually, I would expect more problems with two does in the same cage, and less problems if she has the cage to herself. If you really want to have another doe with her in future, let her raise a litter now and leave a daughter with her when you remove the rest of the litter.
Thank you so much for all the info! She came home that night!!

I tried breeding them the other day - and the girls wanted nothing to do with Romeo - he was ready to go and they were not. I may have had one successful time with Phoenix. We're on day 4 with her.

The next day I tried again, and Romeo acted like his feelings were hurt and wanted nothing to do with them.

Back
Top Bottom