Loss in the flock

T3rrorToff33

Chirping
Nov 27, 2021
My quail hen Elisiv passed away a few days ago. With my second "hen" (definitely intersex, looks identical to a mature hen, bonded with my roo, but no eggs and crows) starting to mount her in addition to the roo she was being chased around a lot and apparently got some sort of blockage in her crop, it was rock hard and filled to the brim with seed when i inspected her carcass.

Her egg production was perfectly healthy though, having wonderful yolks developing in her :(. I had suggested rehoming her for her comfort to my family when the "masculine" nature of her cagemate started showing, but they didnt wanna hear it sadly. My remaining two quails are doing great though, gonna start breeding mealworms so i can give them something to chase around too, the sudden loss of our hen made them a little distraught as it seems.

They spend a lot of time huddled together but act totally energetic and normal when i put leafy greens in the cage. Eat, drink and poop totally normal. they did become much more skiddish, with this hen always being the one to take food from my hand and the others only following her.

I have my hens last 2 eggs blown out in a little container, and her carcass in a plastic box in my freezer. Once i have the materials i will articulate her skeleton sitting on the eggs with her little heart preserved in a jar, I'll share it when the several week process is done <3

Awwww.......... I'm so sorry! -- sending cyberhugs if you want one

Sad Best Friends GIF by Lisa Vertudaches

Back
Top Bottom