Loss of eye? [graphic pics!]

NuggetsNuggets

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 19, 2014
I discovered my most elusive and favorite spangled banty rooster with a nasty infection in his eye. He had lost the sight in the eye about a year ago after having been pecked by one of our full sized hens.

Once I picked him up, of course I felt awful because it was clear he was pretty uncomfortable. The eye was huge, dry looking, hard, brown and yellow - with a tiny bit of dark brown blood along one side.

Having dealt with a hen with a similar eye infection, my vet showed me an easy way to rid the eye of the "chunk" of pus - I lubricated the eye with a few drops of saline and when I pressed gently under they eye, it literally popped free of the socket, but instead of coming out, it felt as though it was attached and there was a very tiny bit of fresh blood coming from the corners of the eye. Because it felt attached, I did nothing further, and thought it would be best if I waited to take him to the vet today. Because there was fresh blood, I was afraid of doing any further damage.

I created an inside "hospital room" for my little fellow (a large, sterilized plastic tote) and brough him in where he could rest. I have a custom made wire mesh top and I put that on then went to get him some food and water.

When I came back, not 5 minutes later, the pus-glob was no longer in/on the eye and the eye socket is/was sunken in. There was a small amount of fresh blood along the slit in his eyelid. I'm guessing that he jumped, scratched at it or did something that caused it to fall off/out.

However... It wasn't hard to find the glob. The first photo is what I saw from the outside, the second photo is what was inside the socket. Other two photos are from today now that the swelling has gone down a bit. It's also quite apparent there's some other swelling in his nasal cavity on that side.

He is about 2-1/2 years old, easy to handle, not so easy to catch, seems otherwise a healthy, sparky, clucking and crowing guy - eating and drinking well, chatting at me any time I check on him and moving around.

My husband doesn't think a visit to the vet is necessary, that we should start him on antibiotics and watch for signs of infection. I would prefer to take him, but it's not an option right at this moment.

I think within the pus-glob is his eye ball but even with a magnifying glass it's very difficult to know what I'm looking at or for. I cannot tell if anything but his external eyelids are functioning or even there.

Some things I would like some advice on...

Should I re-lubricate the eye/eye socket and irrigate it, in order to make sure all the infection is out? Use Terramycin or polysporin only on the outside? Or... That the eye has created its own "seal" and allow it to heal without interfering ...Or something else all together...?

I have started him on an 800mg dosage of Terra-Vet 10 water soluble powder.

Any help and/or advice would be appreciated... Sorry for the gross pictures

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but we do love gross pictures!!

Terra-Vet 10 (good stuff) treats respiratory infections, so it may not treat the bacteria that infect a wound.

I would irrigate with some chlorihexidine (you can find it at Walgreens next to the hydro perox). It gets the job done without eating away any tissue. It may burn a little, but he'll be okay.

After the chlorihexidine, I'd leave it be.

Rinse his eye with saline wash every day and put a few drops of the chlorihexidine in it. After a week or so, you should start to see some healing.

One-eyed roosters can go on to live long, happy lives. :)

As long as the wound doesn't start to smell off, and he keeps eating and drinking normally, just let him heal on his own.

Keep us posted!!

MrsB

Last edited:
Thank you, MrsB! I will be sure to get some chlorhex tomorrow and get his eye, or what's left of it, taken care of. I think he was doing pretty well seeing one eyed prior to this... But I have to say that was one of the nastiest things I think I've ever seen and the audible popping sound when it came out of the socket. He seems like he's feeling pretty well but I am keeping a close eye on him (he gets to sit in my lap and watch tv once in a while too, lol). Will the eye heal closed or will it just be a hole, do you think? He is first banty rooster I ever owned and tho he no longer reproduces (I'm not sure why), he's become more of a pet -, two of his offspring do and I have had two very nice new generations the past two years.

Many thanks!
Nx2

Oh... Sorry I hit the submit button too soon... I have several antibiotics on hand including the terravet, durmycin, Speclinx 50, Tylan 50 and Tylan 200... As well as penicillin (we have horses, pigs, dogs, chickens, turkeys and quail), so I have a pretty good assortment to choose from. That side of his head is pretty inflamed and I noticed a bit of runny discharge this evening... So, suggestions on what might be better?

Thanks!
Nx2

None of the above. All those antibiotics treat respiratory infections.

To be honest, with the chlorhex, you shouldn't need one... but if it makes you feel better, put some Neosporin on him. :)

It will probably heal with his eye closed.

MrsB

Well... After using the chlorhex and Terramycin on the eye, as well as keeping him on antibiotic for a week, the infection has subsided and tho the actual eyeball appears to be gone, the remaining tissues are looking healthy. He was happy to be put back in general population and I'm keeping a close watch on him. Thank you for your advice! :)

So the little guy has been doing alright until I noticed more yellow crud in his eye this morning. Additionally, his "ear" and "nostril" on that same side are both hard and quite swollen. Of course, I can't see into the ear, but you can see in the photo that his beak appears completely blocked by... Something, on that side. He was ok with me removing the junk from his eye but about came unhinged when I barely touched his beak on that side. I used a little warm salt water in order to try to loosen the blockage, applied done Terramycin to both the eye and the other junk, but I don't know how much good it will do. Within the next day or so, if I cannot get the poor guy unblocked, I will trot him off to the vet, which if I had been able to afford it prior to this, I would have.

Any suggestions?

As always, your help and advice is much appreciated.

Looks like cheese puss to me. :/

I wish the original treatment had gotten it!!

I'm on my phone, so can't help the way I want to.... but go on YouTube and search "chicken eye worm treatment." A video should pop up that shows a man removing eye worms from a red rooster.

At the end-ish of the video, he sticks a q-tip THROUGH the roosters sinuses and pulls it out his eye. It's crazy-looking, but may help dislodge any puss.

Continue with chlorhex and saline washes with neosporin.

MrsB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom