loss of favorite hen/mystery death

Mark & Nique

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
South Carolina
A sad morning...went out to let our 3 hens outside to do some free-ranging only to find Mayflower, our BR -- 1 year and 1 month old, dead upstairs in the coop. I examined her -- no peck marks, no feathers pulled out. We have great neighbors and don't have any problems with predators. She laid Sunday afternoon and was finishing up with molting.

I did some reading in other threads that some deaths are mysteries; it looks like this is one of those.

It still hurts to lose our favorite girl. She loved to sit in our laps and perch on our shoulders.

Mark & Nique :

A sad morning...went out to let our 3 hens outside to do some free-ranging only to find Mayflower, our BR -- 1 year and 1 month old, dead upstairs in the coop. I examined her -- no peck marks, no feathers pulled out. We have great neighbors and don't have any problems with predators. She laid Sunday afternoon and was finishing up with molting.

I did some reading in other threads that some deaths are mysteries; it looks like this is one of those.

It still hurts to lose our favorite girl. She loved to sit in our laps and perch on our shoulders.

So sorry for your loss, and yes sometimes they die and it seems for no known reason. Just keep an eye on the rest for a time.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom