Mystery chicken death, drop in production, bare spots

KTwfall

Hatching
Mar 26, 2022
Hello all,

Our flock of 13 hens and 1 rooster has been doing fine for months. Recently, however, egg production has dropped from 10-13 eggs per day to 7-9 eggs per day. Partially because one of our hens has gone broody, but still, it’s a noticeable drop.

I’ve been noticing several of the hens are looking a little rough, with bare patches on their backs, base of the wings, and throat/neck. I could attribute it to the rooster, he’s pretty aggressive towards people, but always has been fine with the hens. But I wouldn’t put it past him. The bald spots are most consistently located on the throat area.

This afternoon we were changing the water and found a dead chicken laying in the run, an Easter egger. She was towards the bottom of the pecking order I think. She looked physically ok, aside from being henpecked. I didn’t notice any really odd behavior before. One of the pics of the chickens with the bare necks is the same bird a couple days before.

We had a mystery death in our flock many months ago, soon after introducing the young birds into the coop, but never figured out what it was, and everybody else was fine.

Finally, I noticed a plant growing through the side of the run that backs up against the neighbor’s property. Looks like bittersweet nightshade. I believe this is somewhat toxic, but hearing mixed things on whether or not it would kill a chicken. Wondering if this is a possibility?

Could all/some of these factors be connected? What should my next steps be for the flock and is there anything I should look for? (Also, do the one bird’s feet look normal to y’all? They looked “bumpy” to me).

Sorry for the long post! I know it’s kind of everywhere!

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpeg
    IMG_0104.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0106.jpeg
    IMG_0106.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0108.jpeg
    IMG_0108.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0109.jpeg
    IMG_0109.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0140.jpeg
    IMG_0140.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
It sounds like the rooster may be the culprit of the picking on the back and shoulders when he mounts the hens. It could be your rooster being mean to his favorite hens. Could you try separating the rooster to see if the condition of the hens get better?

My roo goes bananas if he is separated from the hens - even 1 of them. He paces and stresses and crows repetatively. I've never separated him for any length of time because it seems to cause him too much stress. I only chime in because a few of Pedro's favourites are looking pretty rough, one starting to show skin too.

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately, we can’t separate the rooster because we do not have a place to put him, but he’s not long for this world anyways as we have chicks right now, and one of them is a roo. The old roo will be dispatched before the new one goes in, because he’s so aggressive to people anyways.

I will have to take a closer look at the one chicken’s foot

Also, this legbar’s pupil looks strange and different from all the others. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom