Loss of feathers and lumpy legs.... :(

ktinker

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
Paso Robles, CA
Hello everyone, I recently started hoarding chickens of all shapes and sizes, and a few of our Aracana hens seem to have loss of feathers and bald spots, almost like molting, but it's nearly winter and some of them have looked like this for over 1 1/2 months... what worries me is that their legs are lumpy and almost look like they have whitish calcium-like buildup. Also laying has significantly decreased, although so has the temperature outside, and I have no way of quarantining any hens or knowing which are or aren't laying. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also looking forward to posting pics of the chicks we are beginning to hatch, no clue what kind of weird breeds we're creating between the random hens and roosters we have all hanging out together!

it`s more then likely thir molting but look them over for lice try making a box put some ash from a fire place in it an some dead dirt like from under a house thay will dust the self`s if thay do have lice then this will help let me know please

I will try that, thank you!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you! My fiance just looked up a bunch of stuff online about mites, apparently that's what it most likely is and one of the solutions is dipping legs in vegatable oil, also that special fossilized dust stuff that kills mites but isn't chemical at all, I don't know what it's called... anyway, we're going to try that starting this week, and I'll post what occurs after! So glad I found this site! Now I just have to figure out how to post pics and we're in business!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom