1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Loss of feathers and lumpy legs.... :(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ktinker, Nov 10, 2012.

1. ktinker

ktinker New Egg

Nov 10, 2012
    Paso Robles, CA
    Hello everyone, I recently started hoarding chickens of all shapes and sizes, and a few of our Aracana hens seem to have loss of feathers and bald spots, almost like molting, but it's nearly winter and some of them have looked like this for over 1 1/2 months... what worries me is that their legs are lumpy and almost look like they have whitish calcium-like buildup. Also laying has significantly decreased, although so has the temperature outside, and I have no way of quarantining any hens or knowing which are or aren't laying. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also looking forward to posting pics of the chicks we are beginning to hatch, no clue what kind of weird breeds we're creating between the random hens and roosters we have all hanging out together!

2. dam danny

dam danny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    sylvester georgia
    it`s more then likely thir molting but look them over for lice try making a box put some ash from a fire place in it an some dead dirt like from under a house thay will dust the self`s if thay do have lice then this will help let me know please

3. ktinker

ktinker New Egg

Nov 10, 2012
    Paso Robles, CA
    I will try that, thank you![​IMG]

4. dam danny

dam danny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    sylvester georgia
    your very much welcome thir is also some dust that is sold just for lice but always let your bird dust them selfs good luck let me know how it go`s for ya

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Check their legs carefully for scaly leg mites

6. ktinker

ktinker New Egg

Nov 10, 2012
    Paso Robles, CA
    Thank you! My fiance just looked up a bunch of stuff online about mites, apparently that's what it most likely is and one of the solutions is dipping legs in vegatable oil, also that special fossilized dust stuff that kills mites but isn't chemical at all, I don't know what it's called... anyway, we're going to try that starting this week, and I'll post what occurs after! So glad I found this site! Now I just have to figure out how to post pics and we're in business!!!! :)

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ktinker, and [​IMG]! Glad you joined our community! Sounds like you have already received some good advice so I'll just say howdy, welcome, and best of luck!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by