Loss of my girls

chickchick-chicky

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2018
About 2 weeks ago we had a dog kill 2 of my precious girls. How do you cope with it? Every squeak or squawk I’m running out the door like a mad woman prepared to fight a dog. We had another scare this morning but all my girls are safe. I feel like I can’t sleep or something will happen again. I feel like I’m going crazy.

About 2 weeks ago we had a dog kill 2 of my precious girls. How do you cope with it? Every squeak or squawk I’m running out the door like a mad woman prepared to fight a dog. We had another scare this morning but all my girls are safe. I feel like I can’t sleep or something will happen again. I feel like I’m going crazy.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry to hear about your loss. :hugs

Who's dog was it that killed your girls? Do you free range the remaining flock?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry to hear about your loss. :hugs

Who's dog was it that killed your girls? Do you free range the remaining flock?
It was sadly a stray that we hadn’t seen before. They do currently free range but I am seriously considering making them just a giant enclosed area for them.

Super sorry for your loss! Our last attack (2 years ago) was from dogs... but they were not strays, but neighbors / friends of our daughters, which was hard.

I am seriously considering making them just a giant enclosed area for them.
Yeah, putting up solid chain-link fence, or building an enclosure is really the only way to better guarantee safety if you're somewhere with determined predators.

I had bad dog issues too. On several occasions I came home to a scattered flock and dead bodies. I kept them locked in a run, which helped a little, and I hurried home when I had other engagements and hovered around the windows when I was inside. I'm pretty sure I gained superhearing for a bit. I was down the stairs and out the door in seconds if I saw something wrong.

I use nightguard predator lights (solar) that protect at night and place on each side of coop facing woods or where predators might move through your home property. I don't know how the dog got in or I might have a suggestion or two. Using 19 g 1/2 inch hardware cloth helps as a 24 inch apron around base over windows and fencing for run. Some also put pavers or rock around base over top. Make sure you are roofed or small netting over top of run to keep out predators.

If this happens during free range might need to only do when you can watch if don't have fencing. Sorry for your loss and I'm sure you jump at every noise now so would I.

Back
Top Bottom