Lost 17 hens at one swoop

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
At the end of a freaky thunderstorm early this morning (and the power was still out), I went out to check critters. I could see 'jumping around that wasn't chicken' in the Naked Neck pen.
Quick decision, do I turn back and get a gun or charge on and fight off the intruders with whatever is at hand
I could see chickens flying up like confetti).
I hollered and when they ignored me, I started framming them with a shovel. My intention was to stop the dogs from killing more birds, but one turned and charged --- I stuck out my foot, and it took off my shoe (2 seconds of panic, the reality was I want to kill this animal)..
No time to think, so I was attacking them.

And I killed another dog.

The point is, if you let your dogs run loose, at some point, you might come across *me*. I don't call AnimalControl (what's the point, because they give 3 strikes, I don't).
They (Animal Control) will come collect the bodies and try to locate owners if the deseaced is wearing tags, but past experience ...
It's been a long day and I'm in shock.
How does one dispose of 17 hens?

That is just horrible!!! Words just can't express how sorry I am and I'm sure there are none to express the emotions you are feeling as well! Were you able to save any at all!?? I hope and pray you are able to get to the bottom of this and locate the owners. They need to pay for your losses even though that will never make up for the ones you lost!! Keep us informed, okay? I'm so sorry!!!
hugs.gif

Oh jeesh!! That HAD to be just terrifying! I am so sorry you lost so many birds, and thankfull you are ok! Were they BIG dogs? Do you know who they belonged to? Have you seen them around before!?
How to dispose of that many birds....well...it may sounds terrible...but, I live in the country, and if it was me....I would have a big bon fire. There is just no way to bury that many...and keep something from digging them back up, unless you have a backhoe...and can go pretty deep. Again, I am sooo very sorry!

It might be to late but calling animal control was a mistake. You should go directly to your local police. Is they believe animal control needed to be involved then they will call. You have lost property. This should be settle by a higher power than the dog catcher. I can imagine there will be issues coming back from the dog owner if they are located. You might want to talk with a free councel lawyer. Good luck and stand your ground.:|

I'd go bury the dog and not say a word if anyone came looking for it. Just say no I've not seen it sorry. That's to bad about the chickens unless you want to bring the cops into it. You could give them the dogs body and it did attack you & your livestock. You could file a report with them.

You did right killing the dog, especially so because it attacked *you*, and not just the chickens. Next time, remember every time you head outside, no matter for what reason, carry your sidearm with you. You'd have got all the dogs if you had.

OMG Lisa, How horrible for you. I have wondered what I would do if I caught a dog in my pens. I feel I would do the exact same thing and I would probably not feel bad about the dog later. I have to run off the neighborhood dogs everyday here and I am developing such a bad attitude towards the nasty curs. The thing is I love dogs and I feel sorry for them because of the ignorant attitude people around here have about owing dogs. When they are in my yard, my attitude changes and I see them all as the enemy. My shot gun is loaded and ready. I can't really shoot it very well so I don't know what good it is if DH is not around but if the warning shots are not effective the bird shot is.

As to disposal of your birds, do you have a local landfill? If so you might call and ask if you could take them there. Horrible as that sounds. Otherwise I guess a bonfire would be best. That has to be pretty tought too. I am so sorry. If I was closer I would be glad to help you with the job.

Back
Top Bottom