1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost 2 girls, now to figure out what took them

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tegaily, Sep 26, 2013.

1. tegaily

tegaily Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    New Brunswick, Canada
    We had two hens taken yesterday at dinner time. We didn't hear anything. Only noticed them missing when we went out to fill feeders and waterers and lock them up for the night. We found them further back on the property 1 had a broken neck with feathers all around her the other had her neck/crop and intestinal area eaten. What do you think killed them? They are free range and we have several young chicks here that were not touched.

2. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    We had something similiar to this with foxes. Broken necks can be their calling card because they do not like the struggle or the screaming. They are quick, quiet and deadly because they break their necks quickly on the kill and get in and out fast. Just an outside opinion. I was also told that once they find a food source in that area, they will come back which is what we found. You may want to look at putting them in a pen for a while, otherwise you could lose more. Good luck! This can be so sad to lose them like this.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My best guess is a Raccoon, as they generally eat the crop/neck area, kill several birds, and are scrounging around in the evening. A fox is possible, though then generally carry the birds away and don't eat them on-site. You might consider setting up some traps for Raccoons and/or foxes. Other than that, since your birds free range, there isn't much you can do to protect them during the day. Perhaps a good guard dog or protective rooster would help.

I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I know the feeling, mine were lost more than once, or let me rephrase, Bitten to death and left like that, dogs, dogs, I hate neighbors dogs, 14 years back it was my own, I killed him for that, since then, four times my whole flock was murdered,

5. tegaily

Jun 29, 2012
    New Brunswick, Canada
    set a trap tonight, so we'll see if we catch anything. We also have Great Horned Owls around, would you think it could be them?

6. spies04

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Wondering if you caught anything? I do not have a lot of experience with owls - I have heard they kill where they find them?

7. tegaily

Jun 29, 2012
    New Brunswick, Canada
    No we still haven't caught anything :(
    We have seen a skunk in the yard though so it might have been him, but I had read that they eat the heads and stack and my birds heads were not touched nor were they found together.

8. spies04

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I am so sorry for your loss. I lost three of mine to a fox and I was devastated.

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    If you'll deploy a Duke dog proof raccoon trap or two you'll confirm or disprove that there are any chicken killing raccoons active in your area. I am betting that your old friend the GH owl is to blame for your losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by