Lost 2 hens to similar symptoms. Looking for advice

Pics
Well!!! Final update: I talked at great length - to the vet in poultry division at the Agricultural department, at the state capital in Trenton. She was SO nice, helpful and informative, (she even gave me her last name, and her cell phone number!) and she took a good hour on the phone with me. I explained the whole situation to her, and she pretty much said the necropsy - though they do perform them - probably wouldn't be useful, based on the fact that I bought these chicks - from someone who she actually KNEW (based on so many calls from other people who bought chicks from him) to be a 'disreputable' farmer. She said he has no idea what he was doing, and has numerous complaints and problems due to the inbred poultry he sells. I had no idea at the time of my purchase - as this was my first flock ever... (a terrible way to start).

She also said IF i even suspect there's a respiratory problem... they will come out free of charge (I'm pretty sure she said free) to inspect the chickens and help. Wow!

She said first big rule when purchasing chicks is: "ALWAYS get chicks from a REPUTABLE breeder - like 'My Pet Chicken' " So... the batch of chicks I got 11 months ago... (except for the sex links)... have all perished due to inbreeding = causing huge physical & neurological issues- and 3 of them were runts. She said I didn't have a chance at success - with any of the chicks from this particular farmer.

So, I have an order in to My Pet Chicken... for 10 new chicks in April. I feel heart broken about all of the lost chicks... but I will start again in April.

Well!!! Final update: I talked at great length - to the vet in poultry division at the Agricultural department, at the state capital in Trenton. She was SO nice, helpful and informative, (she even gave me her last name, and her cell phone number!) and she took a good hour on the phone with me. I explained the whole situation to her, and she pretty much said the necropsy - though they do perform them - probably wouldn't be useful, based on the fact that I bought these chicks - from someone who she actually KNEW (based on so many calls from other people who bought chicks from him) to be a 'disreputable' farmer. She said he has no idea what he was doing, and has numerous complaints and problems due to the inbred poultry he sells. I had no idea at the time of my purchase - as this was my first flock ever... (a terrible way to start).

She also said IF i even suspect there's a respiratory problem... they will come out free of charge (I'm pretty sure she said free) to inspect the chickens and help. Wow!

She said first big rule when purchasing chicks is: "ALWAYS get chicks from a REPUTABLE breeder - like 'My Pet Chicken' " So... the batch of chicks I got 11 months ago... (except for the sex links)... have all perished due to inbreeding = causing huge physical & neurological issues- and 3 of them were runts. She said I didn't have a chance at success - with any of the chicks from this particular farmer.

So, I have an order in to My Pet Chicken... for 10 new chicks in April. I feel heart broken about all of the lost chicks... but I will start again in April.
My goodness! That is interesting to know. How sad though to find out that she already knew the cause without having to do some testing.
Sometimes it is better to go with a larger hatchery, my pet chicken sources from different hatcheries so hopefully you won't have any problems with this batch of chicks.
It's unfortunate, since there are some very good private breeders and something like this taints everyone's reputation.

Thank you for the update!

@Wyorp Rock, yes - it was very interesting listening & learning from her - and I can touch type, so I wrote down almost every word she said!!! Her knowledge was broad & amazing, and it was a very enlightening conversation.

She TOTALLY agreed with the use of Baytrill... so you and @Eggcessive were right on the mark with that!!! And amazing that she even gave me her cell phone # in case I ever need help or advice in the future!

Oh, and I forgot to add... (so I've edited this reply) yes, ti's VERY sad that it gives the smaller REPUTABLE breeder a bad name... it's not right that few can ruin it for everyone else... I agree.

Again, I can't thank you & all the BYC friends here who offered advice and support through this. :love

Thank you for posting the info from the state vet. I always think that getting day old chicks from a good hatchery is the best way to insure that they will have a good start in life.
It is true that MyPetChickens is not a hatchery, but sources chicks from hatcheries around the country. Meyer Hatchery in Polk, Ohio, supplies a lot of the chicks for MyPetChickens. I like to get mine from a hatchery that is close to me and can deliver them overnight in shipping. Meyer is where I buy chicks from, and I like that they have a large selection of rarer breeds and common ones.

Ahh, yes - My Pet Chicken said my chicks were coming out of Ohio... I didn't know that they sourced out! Meyer's has an excellent reputation too!!! I'm still happy with them because I really like the fact that they have women there to answer the phones all week, who all seem really knowledgable & have chickens & ducks and all, and are on call to offer help, advice and ideas... much like here!

I looked them up, when I wanted to order chicks, and it I found they were in Connecticut - so went with them (vs ohio) because like you said... they were closer -so the chicks would travel less. Oh well! She said though, (and this is kinda how I understood it) that when they ship the hatchlings - they ONLY put the chicks on planes that are specifically equipped for animals. If the plane is not equipped - they wait for the next transport plane that is. So that the hatchlings get the best care in transport. I hope that's right? It was kinda difficult to understand, but that's the gist of it.

But anyway... I'm SO SO SO excited about my new batch coming April 1st. I have 2 Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Red Sexlinks, 2 Blue Easter Eggers and 2 regular Easter Eggers arriving... and I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! :wee

Ahh, yes - My Pet Chicken said my chicks were coming out of Ohio... I didn't know that they sourced out! Meyer's has an excellent reputation too!!! I'm still happy with them because I really like the fact that they have women there to answer the phones all week, who all seem really knowledgable & have chickens & ducks and all, and are on call to offer help, advice and ideas... much like here!

I looked them up, when I wanted to order chicks, and it I found they were in Connecticut - so went with them (vs ohio) because like you said... they were closer -so the chicks would travel less. Oh well! She said though, (and this is kinda how I understood it) that when they ship the hatchlings - they ONLY put the chicks on planes that are specifically equipped for animals. If the plane is not equipped - they wait for the next transport plane that is. So that the hatchlings get the best care in transport. I hope that's right? It was kinda difficult to understand, but that's the gist of it.

But anyway... I'm SO SO SO excited about my new batch coming April 1st. I have 2 Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Red Sexlinks, 2 Blue Easter Eggers and 2 regular Easter Eggers arriving... and I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! :wee
Sounds like a nice variety! I'm sure you will be happy, getting chicks is always so fun.

Back
Top Bottom