Lost 52 today..

I'm not sure what the limit is now, but you could recoup some of that in small claims court. It used to be five grand per suit, but I believe they increased it...(my ex almost peed his pants in excitement on that one).

Quote:
I dont know about your state but here in ohio we are aloud to shoot anything that attacks livestock, including peoples pets such as dogs!
I would also take her to court if possible & make her pay for all damages & losses.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry this happened to you and your chickens. I had a similar situation , but with my rabbits. I was so glad that Animal Control handled the situation. My neighbors had to pay for everything including the price of the rabbits I lost. I didn't have to fight them for my loss. The owners of the dogs put a note on my door to call them and we settled it. I really miss my rabbits. I haven't had babies since and those that I lost were producing so I'm still sad about it. Good Luck to you !!

Animal control has fined them several times that is good from a legal stand. Take them to court you have plenty of evidence. You can probably have criminal charges against them. You can also sue for damages. you can sue for your loss and for emotional damage.

I lost about 300 chickens to some stray dogs that had no owner to sue last year. I built a large 6' fence and ran electrical fence on the posts also. It was heart breaking to see 300 dead chickens since I was only about 2-3 weeks from them all laying. I learned while burying these chickens that if I wanted chickens, I had to protect them with a fence. Just like you have to protect a 52" flat screen TV from thieves, you have to protect these also. I also learned (from watching my wife's dogs) that all I really needed was the electrical fence. Its amazing how quickly dogs, and other animals respect an electrical fence.

Last edited:
Just a terrible situation. I hope that the world spins back right for you...and while it's spinning your neighbors dogs are cast into a fiery lake of destruction. Electric fence is a charming and effective way to protect. After it's installed maybe the neighbor will volunteer to test it's circuitry.

This is just parts of the dog laws in West Virginia. You can go to this link and read the full text.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuswvst19_9_1_19_20A_8.htm#s19_20_13

The dogs are only doing what comes natural to them. That's why I belive irresponsible owners shouildn't even own them or
any other animal. I know it's not the dogs fault but I have had to shoot dogs before for either killing chickens or trying
to kill our young calves. We have had dogs kill calves before while the cow was birthing. Hate doing it but we have to take care of
our own. If not I think that would make me irresponsible myself.
*Im not saying that anyone else on here is irresponsible if they don't retaliate. I'm just speaking for myself*

§ 19-20-13. Dog running at large; liability of owner

Any owner or keeper of any dog who permits such dog to run at large shall be liable for any damages inflicted upon the person or property of another by such dog while so running at large.

§ 19-20-14. Dog killing, wounding or worrying livestock or poultry--Recovery of damages

If any dog has killed or assisted in killing, wounding or worrying any sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits, horses, colts or poultry out of the enclosure of the owner of the dog, the owner or keeper of the dog shall be liable for the sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits, horses, colts or poultry in the amount of the damages sustained, to be recovered in an action before any court or magistrate having jurisdiction of the action. It shall not be necessary to sustain the action to prove that the owner of the dog knew the dog was accustomed to worrying, killing or wounding.

§ 19-20-16. Same--When lawful to kill dog

A person may kill a dog that he may see chasing, worrying, wounding or killing any sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits, horses, colts or poultry outside of the enclosure of the owner of the dog, unless the chasing or worrying be done by the direction of the owner of the sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits or horses and colts or poultry

Last edited:
I agree. I hate to kill a dog. Well I dont DH will if it comes to that. We have had HUGE hogs with a littler of piglets too.
We are allowed (Texas) to protect our livestock. But you have to check every Sept. 1st here to see what laws have changed.
sad.png
It gets a little annoying.
I do not understand people that just let their dogs run free. It makes me crazy, not because I have poultry, because it is not right. You are to protect them if you own them. I have had 11 rescue dogs at one time not included my own 5 that were my house dogs. And these were all throw aways or strays and we bought dog houses, leads, collars, runs and fed and loved these dogs until we could find them forever homes. We do not have that kind of money, but we are in the sticks and people think it is OK.
My neighbor has a reg yellow Lab $1600.00 that he just lets run loose. Drives me crazy, the dog has a huge pen.
Some dogs we have had 3 years or better and any Pitts we get I never rehome them. I dont trust people, and they are so good with my birds.

So sorry for your loss...I too do rescue with dogs and would hate to have any destroyed...but chicken killers can rarely be turned around. (I own 2!) Good luck with your lawsuit...I am glad that not many owners let their dogs run here up North! Terri O

I'm so sorry for your loss..but you know what...? with your neighbors attitude such as it is, i would get pics of the dogs in action if it happens again, then kill them..That's a heavy loss of farm income. Yes, its sad for the dogs, but no one said we live in a fair world.What a rotton piece of crap you have for a neighbor.My opinoin is harsh,however, this is your income,its not some kind of doggie /chicken game with a jerky neighbor..Its disgusting and sickening, i'd have zero tolerance for repeated dog harassment and killing of my livestock.Dog's fault or not..Again i'm so sorry for your horrendous and painful loss...what a drag...

Back
Top Bottom