Lost 6 today, totally heartbroken..I let them down :(

Quote:
I totally agree.
We had a predator last year, never saw it. It took the first hen just after dark, so we started putting everyone "to bed" earlier, and the predator adjusted his/her schedule too. We lost the third one around 3 in the afternoon! For the rest of the July, we kept the flock inside the run, no free ranging.
The predator then systematically killed the feral barn cats. It was horrible, and we were helpless.

This year, we had one attack, again in July, but it was at night, and the brazen culprit got into the barn, then into the tack room, then pried open the broody cage and took mamma & babies. Whatever it is, it fits through a 2" gap under the door, but can get meat out of a trap without getting caught. Pro'lly a fishercat or weasel.

Both summers, Kim, I balled my eyes out too. It's hard not to get attached to such characters!

Don't underestimate the determination of a hungry animal. From its point of view, it's survival depends on its determination and cunning. They are truly fighting for their lives. I have to respect that, but I still want to kill the d*mn thing that took my BB and her chicks.

Hugs to you Kim!

Back
Top Bottom