Lost a Bird to Illness this Morning

YardBirdCountry

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
I "yard" my birds. They wander the yard at day, and they go up to the top of the coop to roost and sleep at night and I shut them in until the morning.

Last night I got home a bit late and it was already dark. All of my birds were up at the usual spots in the coop. But one of my birds was at the bottom of the coop, at the dry part. It was just laying there breathing. I decided to move it up top since it gets cold at night but it was at a part that was difficult to reach so I used a branch (feel bad about this now). Bird was being stubborn about moving and I had difficulty moving it to where I could grab it out of the coop.

Bird seemed lethargic and I noticed some discharge near (not on) the vent (greenish, yellow, thick). But it was breathing (maybe a bit heavy). I put it up top with the birds so it would stay dry and warm.

The next morning I let the birds out and they all left the coop per their usual behavior. But the sick bird was just laying there in the muck on the uncovered (wet and mucky side) of the coop). I removed it from the muck and put it outside the coop. It just laid there and the other birds started picking at it.

I decided to isolate the bird. I brought out a brooding box, put some dry bedding in it and brought the bird into the garage. I put a heating light there to try to keep it in the high 70s low 80s. I dried off the bird and wiped off the muck. I put food and water in the box and left the top off.

Bird was really lethargic, its head was slowly spinning around (kinda like it was nodding off) and it had difficulty keeping it up. Then it just started drooping its head.

While I was eating breakfast I heard "thrashing." I went to check on the bird and it was lying on its side but still breathing.

But by the time I ate breakfast and got ready for work the bird was dead.

Any ideas on what killed it? What can I do to keep the other birds from getting sick.

It's been raining everyday around here and been pretty cold as well. I've kept the top of the coop where they roost, clean, dry, and full of fresh bedding. Uncovered bottom (and most of my yard) is pretty much wet muck. Not much I can do about that until it stops raining every day.

I'm no expert but the description of the poop makes me think of liver and intestine failure. Disease? Parasites? Poisoning, maybe?

Thanks guys. That's helpful. It might have been impacted crop based on the "sour" smell and some of the neck moving behavior. Which means if I knew about it the night I noticed this, I may have been able to save the bird with the olive oil and crop massage techniques. Not sure though. All the other birds seem ok, including it's two sisters. It's fine because the coop was getting a bit crowded and I think I have too many birds and needed to upgrade or reduce flock size anyway. I was probably going to have to process one of the birds. This one wouldn't have been the one I would have picked for the soup pot though.

Ugh - why couldn't it have been one of the noisy and annoying ones.

Sorry for you loss...

If you live in the US find a lab in your State and have necropsies done. It's free in some States like California and Maryland.

Some labs listed by State:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/csf_lab_list.pdf

Or google the name of your State and "veterinary diagnostic lab"

This is a copy and paste from an old post of mine, ignore the California parts unless you live in California.
big_smile.png

How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy​

They need the whole bird, refrigerated, not frozen. If you live in CA, there are four labs that do necropsies on poultry (chickens, turkeys, waterfowl) for free. I know that they do out of state necropsies, but I think they charge for those. You could call them and ask what they charge for out of state "backyard poultry". The lab I use is the one in Tulare, CA. If you are in CA, call them and ask for their FedEx account number, it will save a bunch on shipping charges.

CAHFS
18830 Road 112
Tulare, CA 93274-9042
(559) 688-7543
(559) 686-4231 (FAX)
[email protected]

The other labs are listed here:
http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/services/lab_locations.cfm

If it's Friday, unless you want to overnight for Saturday delivery, I would suggest shipping on Monday for Tuesday delivery. What you need to do, if you haven't already done so, is put your bird in your refrigerator, NOT the freezer! Then you need to find a box, line it with styrofoam (I use the 4'x8'x1" stuff from Home Depot. You can also get smaller pieces at an art store like Michael's, but is way more expensive. Click here to see foam options. You'll also need at least one ice pack. Here are some pictures that I took of the last bird that I sent:

Box lined with foam on four sides and bottom. Seams of foam taped sealed.

Box, sides, bottom and and top.

Frozen ice pack in ziplock baggie.

Brown paper on top of ice pack.

Hen in ziplock baggie on top of brown paper.

Brown paper on top of hen.

Ice pack on top of brown paper.

Lid on top of brown paper.

Inside the box you should also include a submission form in a ziplock baggie. Do not tell anyone at FedEx that you're shipping a dead animal... that seems to really worry them. Just make sure that nothing will leak.

-Kathy

That's very helpful to know if I need it done for next time - wish I did not already dispose of the bird.

Was working in my crawl space and I very likely found out what killed the bird. I think it started pecking at and eating foam insulation then the foam got into its crop and or stomach and caused it to get sick and die. I recently (right around the time the bird died) sealed up my crawl space from rodents and I think the chicken who died got into that stuff before it fully set (it was the most aggressive of the younger birds). It is the "great stuff" foam sealant you can get at hardware stores.

I blocked off the area where they could get access to foam and most likely even if they get over there they will not be able to peck at it successfully because it has fully set and hardened.

A necropsy could have confirm but it appeared that the foam had been "pecked at" as opposed to scratched at by mice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom